This 36-credit-hour M.Ed. specialization will prepare you to be an educational leader, capable of undertaking the tasks and responsibilities of a principal or director of special education. This is a licensure specialization approved by the state of Iowa and leads to an administrator's license. Significant hours will be spent in field experiences, allowing you the opportunity to put into practice what you are learning in the classroom.
*Canadian students should check their school, district, or province requirements for administrative field experiences. Some jurisdictions do not require as many field hours for administrative licensing as the state of Iowa.
Courses are offered in 15-week semesters and 8-week summer terms.
Students may start the program during any term. Most M.Ed. students choose a two or three year plan of study during which they continue to work as a full-time educator. Contact us for a plan that fits your pace and starting point!
M.ED. IN SCHOOL LEADERSHIP (36 CREDITS)
- EDUC 501 - Issues in Education (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 502 - Learner Development and Principles of Learning (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 503 - Interpreting and Applying Educational Research (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 504 - Curriculum Development and Evaluation (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 505 - Foundations of Special Education (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 560 - Foundations of Educational Leadership (3 credits, fall)
- EDUC 560L - Field Experience I in School Leadership (1.5 credits, fall)
- EDUC 561 - Instructional Leadership (3 credits, spring)
- EDUC 561L - Field Experience II in School Leadership (1.5 credits, spring)
- EDUC 562 - Legal and Ethical Foundations in Educational Leadership (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 563 - Collaborative Leadership (3 credits, fall)
- EDUC 563L - Field Experience III in School Leadership (1.5 credits, fall)
- EDUC 564 - Management and School Improvement (3 credits, spring)
- EDUC 564L - Field Experience IV in School Leadership (1.5 credits, spring)