Dordt University's Master of Education (M.Ed.) program focuses on providing a Christ-centered education and is 100% online. Plus, at $330 / credit, Dordt's M.Ed. program is one of the most affordable in the country. The coursework is collaborative, and Dordt's engaging faculty provide practical applications to the concepts they teach.
Questions? Call us at 712-722-6308.
The Dordt University Master of Education degree program offers several specializations in Curriculum and Instruction and in Administration. You can also listen to this podcast detailing the new programs.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the admissions requirements for Dordt's Master of Education program?
To learn more, visit our admissions requirements page.
How much does Dordt's M.Ed. program cost?
Tuition is $330 per credit with a one-time technology fee of $100. To learn more, visit our tuition and fees page.
Tell me more about how many credits are required for program specializations.
The Curriculum and Instruction specializations are 30 credits, the School Leadership specialization is 36 credits, and the Sport Leadership specialization is 33 credits. The School Leadership specialization includes 400 hours of State of Iowa required contact/mentoring hours as part of the administrative license. These field hours can be done in the school or district in which one is currently teaching and do not require absence from current teaching assignments.
How long does it take to complete Dordt's Master of Education program?
The program can be completed in two years. A typical plan of study includes one course every fall semester and spring semester and three courses every summer for two full years. A slower pace can reduce summer work to two courses in each of three summers.
Is Dordt's M.Ed. program 100% online?
Yes, all of our courses are 100% online. No travel or on-campus residency is required.
Dordt's M.Ed. program concentration in Teacher Leadership has been approved by the Iowa Department of Education. Six semester hours of this program meet the requirements to convert an initial license to a Standard license within the State of Iowa. The program also meets the master's degree requirement for the Master Educator's License.
The School Leadership track leads to the Initial Administrator license in the State of Iowa. The Initial Administrator license is the entry level license for all new administrative licensees in the State of Iowa.
For more information on licensure, see the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners' site.
- Teacher Leadership (30 credits) - Meets the master’s degree requirements for a master educator license in the State of Iowa.
- Special Education (30 credits) - Meets the master’s degree requirements for a master educator license in the State of Iowa and may provide completion of a special education endorsement.*
- Developmental Reading (30 credits) - Meets the master’s degree requirements for a master educator license in the State of Iowa and may provide completion of a reading endorsement.*
- Early Childhood Education (30 credits) - Meets the master’s degree requirements for a master educator license in the State of Iowa and may provide completion of an early childhood endorsement.*
- Educational Technology (30 credits) - Meets the master’s degree requirements for a master educator license in the State of Iowa.
- Instructional Coach (30 credits) - Meets the master’s degree requirements for a master educator license in the State of Iowa.
- School Leadership (36 credits) - Meets initial Administrator License requirements in the State of Iowa.
- Sport Leadership (33 credits) - Meets the master’s degree requirements for a master educator license in the State of Iowa.
"Dordt was a great institution to receive my master's degree from. The course work along with the online format was one of the main reasons I chose to go through Dordt. Because I teach at a public school I felt the course content and Christian perspective challenged me in all aspects to develop all facets of my teaching. Connecting with so many different teachers from across North America allowed us to share our struggles and successes and learn from others about what is effective in their schools. I'd highly recommend this program for someone who wants to be challenged as an educator and to be a part of a progressive learning community."
—Kevin Vanderwal, alumnus
"Thanks for letting me know I am 'official.' What a great feeling that is! Praise God, and I want you to know that Dordt has been the best education I have ever received. I loved the challenge, growth and the Christian philosophy that fed my heart, mind and soul."
—Alecia Smith, alumna
"Thank you for everything you did for me the past few years. I am so thankful for Dordt’s Educational Leadership Program. You are outstanding leaders and it was so great to learn from you as well as my fellow colleagues. The training and education you provided me allowed me to apply for and be chosen for an instructional coach position at our school. Without a doubt, I feel comfortable and excited about this new position because of what Dordt has done for me."
—Dave Vonk, alumnus
The Dordt University Master of Education program is approved by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the Iowa Department of Education.