Education at dordt
Be challenged. Be changed.
Have you always dreamed of being a teacher or a principal? If so, you should consider studying education at Dordt.
As an education major at Dordt, you will be prepared to teach confidently and skillfully. Your education will be broader than just classes; you’ll also get hands-on experience working in local schools and programs. Dordt education graduates are highly sought-after in the teaching world; principals and administrators tell us that they put Dordt graduate resumes at the top of the pile.
At Dordt, you’ll learn to teach from a biblical perspective. In a world where culture is constantly changing and challenging your faith, you’ll learn the fundamentals that will help you remain true to your faith and adapt and stay relevant in the classroom.
- Elementary teaching endorsement: For K-6th grade classroom teachers. You can add an endorsement or field of specialization in art, reading, special education, music, mathematics, and more.
- Secondary education: For 5-12th grade classroom teachers. You will major in an approved secondary academic content area in addition to completing a secondary education major.
- Vertical subject area emphasis: For teachers interested in endorsements in physical education, art, music, Spanish, or special education at both elementary and secondary levels.
- Elementary subject area emphasis: This option allows you to focus on a subject area to teach in K-6 classrooms. This is a good option if you wish to teach only physical education or art at the elementary level, for example.
- Endorsements: Choices include early childhood, middle school, special education, teaching English as a second language, reading, or coaching.
- Master of education: We offer a master of education program, allowing teachers to earn an advanced degree in teacher leadership or school leadership.
Take part in our teacher preparation program, our largest student-enrolled program. Whether you intend to teach in a Christian school or a public school, our education program will give you a foundation for teaching Christianly through a healthy balance of class work and field-based experience.
- You'll spend time in classrooms every year prior to student teaching.
- In addition to the major, students may select other courses that provide teaching endorsements as defined by the State of Iowa licensure codes.
- Dordt's teacher preparation program offers a wide variety of endorsement (teaching license) options to fit your interests and goals.
Professional Development School: A unique feature of the Dordt teacher preparation program is our Professional Development School (PDS), a yearlong teaching experience in a partner school during your final year on campus. You'll have a true teaching experience within a school community and work with teachers who are trained as mentors. In this real-world context, you'll see connections between your college coursework and classroom practice. Because of the extensive experience students in this program receive, they are sought by principals for teaching jobs.
Education facilities in the Ribbens Academic Complex include:
- Three model classrooms for language arts, math, and social studies.
- Model science and computer labs.
- Classrooms with moveable furniture, allowing for multiple configurations for teaching and learning.
- State-of-the-art technology, including interactive Smart Boards, document cameras, advanced lighting options, and presentation equipment as well as other equipment used in today's classrooms.
- A lounge area for informal learning.
- A teacher workroom furnished with state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and supplies needed for pre-service teachers and professors.