ART & DESIGN AT DORDT
Be challenged. Be changed.
Do you love to paint, draw, or sculpt? Are you looking for a Christ-centered art education where you can utilize your creativity to the glory of God? A major in art and design at Dordt University might be a great fit for you.
As an art and design major, you’ll learn how to compose eye-catching designs that convey emotion, creativity, skill, and professionalism. Pursuing a Christian art degree at Dordt University means you'll learn how to use your skills as a response of praise to God and to create beauty in the world around you.
After graduating from Dordt, you'll be able to pursue a career in fine art, graphic design, art education, or architecture.
- Art & Design Emphases
- Art history: The art history emphasis allows you to dive deeper into art history. The multimedia background it offers will open up a world of ideas and techniques, and this emphasis will give you a better understanding of the aesthetic and cultural dimensions of life.
- Fine arts studio: With a fine art studio emphasis, you'll have the opportunity to experience art from a wide array of perspectives—explore design, drawing, sculpture, painting, ceramics, printmaking, photography, and graphic design.
- Graphic design: The graphic design emphasis will teach you proficiency in design programs and give you the tools to solve design problems. You will take a variety of courses ranging from fine arts to business to history, each preparing you to take the next step in your design career.
- Pre-architectural design: Our innovative pre-architecture program prepares students for a master of architecture program and a career as a licensed architect. A separate pre-architecture information sheet is available on request.
- Pair with education major
If teaching and art are your passions, there are many options to combine an education degree with an art specialization at Dordt. This combination will prepare you for a career as an art teacher.
For more information on these options, head over to the education major:
Art majors have opportunities to find internships at local companies and production firms and can choose to participate in the Chicago Semester Program, where you will work in an internship.
Through Dordt's Art & Design major, you can build a portfolio and gain practical experience. You can also get involved in local art activities on and off-campus, contribute to art shows, paint sets for theatre productions, and more.
- For the fine arts, we have more than 11,000 square feet of studio space, including large painting, sculpture, and ceramic studios with skylights. We also have a printmaking studio, darkrooms, four ceramic kilns, and display galleries featuring student work from current courses and rotating displays of other great artists.
- Our graphic design students are well-equipped in a digital media lab with both Mac and PC computers for graphic design and motion graphics. Each of these computers are loaded with the latest Adobe software for graphic design, website design, illustration, photography, and more. This lab also holds image scanners that digitize and import photographs and artwork.