Nursing at Dordt
Be challenged. Be changed.
If you like to help others, you’ll love Dordt’s nursing program. You will get hands-on experience in providing treatments necessary for a patient’s improved or continued health. Dordt's new Carl and Gloria Zylstra Nursing Education Center provides nursing students with hands-on learning opportunities in a risk-free environment.
You will learn how to take care of others holistically during their time of need. Not only will you learn the technical skills required to be a nurse, but you will be prepared to enter the healthcare industry as a Christian. You will learn how to maneuver the unique challenges we face as followers of Christ in the current healthcare climate. Our nursing graduates have gone on to become nurse practitioners, midwives, and more.
Download our Nursing guide
Submit your information and we'll send you our guide on the top five things to look for in a nursing program.
At Dordt, you'll receive an education that prepares you for lifelong service. Graduates with bachelor's degrees in nursing have a broad base of education in areas such as sociology, psychology, natural science, and social science. The curriculum is comprised of
- 48 credits of nursing courses
- Over 700 hours of clinical experience, with additional time in lab and simulation
- A foundation of core as well as science courses
A low instructor-to-student ratio gives a high-quality learning environment with opportunities for one-on-one instruction.
You will follow a curricular plan that will introduce you to nursing practice in the first year. In the second year, you will learn health and wellness concepts that may be applied to all patients and clients across the life span. In year three, you will learn about chronic diseases and disorders, as well as predictable health experiences such as pregnancy, labor, and delivery. In your fourth year, you will engage with patients who are experiencing acute, intensive illness and complex health situations. You will also work closely with the nursing faculty to prepare for your licensing exam.
- The Carl and Gloria Zylstra Nursing Education Center is equipped with a hospital-like nursing skills laboratory and two high-fidelity patient care simulation studios. These learning environments are located by the faculty offices for quick and easy access to the instructors and professors.
- Direct patient care clinical experiences take place in over 25 area hospitals, clinics, schools and community settings. Students are exposed to a broad venue of practice settings, work cultures, and diverse professionals in rural to urban, small to large, acute to chronic care facilities.
The BSN at Dordt University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.