DR. ERIK HOEKSTRA
about president hoekstra
Dr. Erik Hoekstra is the fourth president of Dordt. Born in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he is no stranger to the role of president of a Christian college. His father served as president of Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, Illinois, when he was growing up, and his father-in-law was president of Trinity during his college years.
Dr. Hoekstra received his bachelor's degree in history and philosophy from Trinity Christian College, his master's degree in international management from The Rotterdam School of Management of Erasmus University in the Netherlands, and his Ph.D. in organizational learning and human resource development from Iowa State University.
Prior to being appointed as president of Dordt he has been involved in leadership development, executive coaching, organizational consulting, industrial construction, wholesale distribution and retail management, as well as teaching business courses at Dordt, and, most recently, serving as provost of Dordt. As a result of these experiences, he has co-authored publications on coaching, delegation, servant leadership, and change management.
During Dr. Hoekstra's time as provost, Dordt programs in nursing, engineering, and agriculture grew substantially, and new programs in worship arts, construction management, and actuarial science were launched. Athletic programs have grown in size and quality, as have international programs and international student enrollment. Dr. Hoekstra played a key partnership role with student services to design and build Kuyper Apartments, an award-winning student residence hall opened in 2010.
He has reshaped Dordt's academic structure, chaired the enrollment Management Team, and worked closely with the advancement office and president on the Beyond Jubilee: Vision 2020 Campaign as well as Building the Sciences, a two-phase campaign to improve the science and technology facilities and laboratories on campus.
Dr. Hoekstra is passionate about Dordt and the education it offers to students. He is an innovator who champions Dordt's historical roots as it moves forward in today's cultural context. As president, Dr. Hoekstra wants people to find Dordt an intriguing and inviting Christian college that is humbly and hospitably Reformed.
"The core of our educational mission will always be to glorify God as a distinctively Christian, operationally excellent college that attracts quality faculty members, eager students, and enthusiastic supporters," he says. He is committed to helping Dordt maintain a vibrant mission; providing strong leadership; cultivating excellent, mission-oriented faculty members; and capably overseeing the college's ongoing financial stability.
Dr. Hoekstra is also passionate about bringing joy and meaning to work. He strives to "create an environment where those who are being led are being served." Doing so, he believes, not only creates the conditions where people can thrive in fulfilling their calling, but also makes a stronger institution. He has been actively involved in leadership training over the past several years and expects to continue to do so in the years ahead.
Dr. Hoekstra is married to Dr. Barb Hoekstra, an education professor at Dordt with a bachelor's degree from Trinity, a master's from Western Michigan University, and an Ed.D. from the University of South Dakota. They have four children.
Messages and media
- "A Letter from the President" (Dordt University News, October 2019)
- "Putting our Worldview to Work in All Seasons" ("Leading Off with the President," The Voice of Dordt University, Fall 2019)
- "True to the Task: The Educational Task of Dordt University" (The Voice of Dordt University, Fall 2019)
- "On Civil Discourse" (The Voice of Dordt University, Spring / Summer 2019)
- "Our Theology is like a Map" ("Leading Off with the President," The Voice of Dordt University, Spring / Summer 2019)
- "Peculiar People" ("Leading Off with the President," The Voice of Dordt University, Winter / Spring 2019)
- "Always Winter, Never Christmas" ("Leading Off with the President," The Voice of Dordt University, Fall 2018)
- "Dordt College Announces Change to University" (Sioux City Journal, May 2018)
- "A Three-Legged Stool" ("Leading Off with the President," The Voice of Dordt University, Spring / Summer 2018)
- "Two, Three, Four, or More" ("Leading Off with the President," The Voice of Dordt University, Winter / Spring 2018)
- "#1 in Student Engagement" ("Leading Off with the President," The Voice of Dordt University, Fall 2017)
- "Open Letter about the Political Season" (Dordt University News, January 2016)