Women's Cross Country Claims Title at GPAC Preview
- Posted Friday, September 10, 2021
- Updated Saturday, September 11, 2021
Eight Dordt University runners placed in the top 10 as the Defenders women's cross country team won the Red Raider / GPAC Preview meet hosted by Northwestern College at Landsmeer Golf Club in Orange City.
Dordt runners claimed the first five places to score a perfect 15 points to win the meet by 33 points over the host Red Raiders. Mount Marty finished a distant third.
Jessica Kampman won the individual title with a 5K time of 19:42 and was the top Dordt runner for the second consecutive meet. Taylor Anema placed second overall and posted a time of 19:57. Kampman and Anema set the pace early, running out to the early lead by the 1K mark.
Margaret Myskowski was the next to cross the finish line for Head Coach Nate Wolf's squad, placing third with a time of 20:16. Lucy Borkowski (4th - 20:21) and Brenna Tolkamp (5th - 20:24) round out the top five Dordt runners.
- "The women ran well today," commented Coach Wolf. "We had a conservative race plan that saw the women packing up for the first 3,000m and then working hard the last 2,000m of the race. The ladies did a nice job executing the race strategy. Our top five women crossed the line within 42 seconds of each other to take the top five spots and perfect score the meet. We had several women run well with 13 finishing in the top 15 individually."
Dordt's 1-7 spread was :59 seconds.
Dordt's Top 10 Finishers:
- 1. Jessica Kampman - 19:42
- 2. Taylor Anema - 19:57
- 3. Margaret Myskowski - 20:16
- 4. Lucy Borkowski - 20:21
- 5. Brenna Tolkamp - 20:24
- 7. Alexa Veldhuisen - 20:40
- 8. Eden Winslow - 20:41
- 10. Elyse Kuperus - 20:51