Studies Program in Contemporary Europe (SPICE) is a cooperative program with VIAA, a Reformed Christian university in Zwolle, Netherlands. During the spring semester, you'll live with host families while engaging in the language, culture, and art of Europe. Additional course options like the International Business Practicum afford students an opportunity to advance in their major as well. SPICE is open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
SPICE course information is available here.
You'll appreciate stimulating coursework and ample travel opportunities that will bring you throughout the Netherlands and around Europe. Most participants are Dordt students; however, this program is also open to eligible students from other colleges and universities.
Live with a Dutch host family while on SPICE! Watch this video to see what the host families are like!
- To help students develop an awareness of the variety of peoples and cultural traditions in the Netherlands and surrounding European communities, and to help them understand the contemporary political, economic, ecclesiastical, and social structures of this region of the world.
- To acquaint students with the historical interweaving of culture, politics, economics, and communities of faith in Dutch society.
- To assist students in recognizing different cultural systems and beliefs, and in understanding more deeply their own North American culture and biblical worldview.
- To aid students in learning or improving Dutch language skills through formal instruction and informal conversations with host families and fellow Dutch students.
- To assist students in developing skill and sensitivity in cross-cultural communication.
- To enable students to think and live as Christians in cross-cultural settings.