NEWS & EVENTS
Dordt College News
NW IA Business Summit connects community businesses, educators, and students
February 6, 2014
Creating new avenues for local businesses and community members to learn and connect with similar-minded people is a priority of the Sioux Center Chamber of Commerce, says its executive director, Barb Den Herder. “We are fortunate because we have a multitude of resources available right here in our community.”
Erica Vonk, assistant director of the Dordt College Center for Economic Education, said that they approached the Sioux Center Chamber about hosting an event that would bring businesses and schools together. “We see this event as a way to unite local business leaders who have wanted to be involved with the center but aren’t sure how their business can be involved,” said Vonk. “The center and the chamber working together on this event has been a great fit, and the summit will be a real benefit to Northwest Iowa.”
The NW IA Business Summit is an opportunity for business owners, leaders, educators, students, and others to learn from experts in the area about marketing, investing, insurance, and more.
The community is invited to attend the summit to be held in the Dordt College Campus Center on Tuesday, March 25, from 3:30 to 8:30 p.m. A special seminar for high school educators will be held earlier in the day. Register by March 14, and the cost is $35 for admission, $25 for chamber members, and $10 for students. The evening meal is included in the cost. Registration is available at http://nwiabizsummit.com.
Three to four presentations will be going on during each 45-minute block, and participants can attend whichever sessions they choose. Descriptions of the sessions will be made available online at http://nwiabizsummit.com and www.siouxcenterchamber.com.
Keynote speaker Hugh Weber will speak during the evening meal at 5:30. Weber is the CEO of OTA-Pollen, an organization that focuses on bringing individuals, organizations, and communities together to spark new, innovative ideas. He is also the president of Storyline and helps companies, communities, and individuals find and tell their unique stories. In 2008, Weber started DudetoDad.com which has grown to include a social network of 85,000 fathers. He is the author of the Amazon Parenting #1 Bestseller Dude to Dad: The First Nine Months.
NW IA Business Summit is a collaborative effort between the Dordt College Center for Economic Education and the Sioux Center Chamber of Commerce.
“It’s a natural fit for the chamber to work with Dordt College as we have a history of collaboration and similar passions for giving our community the resources they need to be successful in their endeavors,” said Den Herder.
1:30 – 3:30 Seminar Session for High School Educators
3:30 – 4:15 Block A
- Investing in the 21st Century. Darrel Raih (American Investment and Trust)
- Budgeting, Stewardship, and Tips on Saving Money. Jan Henryson (Center for Financial Education)
- Identity Theft and Document Protection. Jason Ryan (Primebank)
- Basics of LinkedIn. Dale Zevenbergen (Dordt College)
4:30 – 5:15 Block B
- Managing People: A Servant Leadership Perspective. Aric Van Voorst and John Elzinga (Pizza Ranch)
- What is a Brand? David Griffith (Dordt College)
- Healthcare and Your Retirement. Eric Rankin (Edward Jones)
5:30 – 6:30 Evening meal and Keynote Address, “The Community Story,” by Hugh Weber
6:45 – 7:30 Block C
- Is Planning (Including Financial Planning) a Waste of Time? Tom De Jong (Money Concepts-The Planning Firm)
- The Unlimited Potential of Limited Liability Companies. Amanda Bahena (Oostra, Bierma, and Van Engen Law Office P.L.C)
- Discovering your Community Story. Hugh Weber
7:45 – 8:30 Block D
- Integrated Marketing Communications. Travis Olson and Kristi Gesink (Agency Two Twelve)
- Estate Planning. Ethan Huizenga (The Huizenga Law Firm)
- Internship Options for Businesses and Students. Art Attema and Brandon Huisman (Dordt College)
- Small Business Commercial Insurance. Brad Van Bruggen (Van Bruggen-Wesselink Insurance)
Media Access: Download Word Version