NEWS & EVENTS
Dordt College News
Dordt Psychology Student Research Conference on Dec. 8
December 2, 2010
The 14th annual Dordt College Psychology Student Research Conference will be held Wednesday, Dec. 8, from 3:30-5 p.m. in the Campus Center’s Eckardt Lounge. This is a free event and the public is invited to attend.
Presenters are psychology majors who have designed original experiments, collected and analyzed data, and compiled their findings. The students are in the experimental psychology course taught by Dr. Sherri Lantinga.
This year’s presentations include the following:
• “Career know-how: student knowledge and perceptions of career preparation steps and Dordt’s career services office” by Jenn Roetman (Rock Rapids, Iowa).
• “Screen bites: effects of timing and ‘gaps’ on memory for information presented on digital screens” by Megan Pothoven (Kellogg, Iowa) and Derrick Angier (Vergennes, Vt.).
• “Follow instructions or follow peers: influence of peer behavior on compliance during massage” by Brianna Butler (Roberts, Wis.) and Bre Schneidermann (Minneapolis, Minn.)
• “Desire to work: influence of authority and accountability on work motivation during a window-washing task” by Kaylee Engelsman (Hudsonville, Mich.) and Gabby Eckardt (Rock Valley, Iowa).
• “Waste not: influence of information type and seating arrangements on food waste in a campus cafeteria” by Tavia Van Vleet (Peyton, Colo.), Bailey Bakker (Ireton, Iowa), and Jessica Westra (Sioux Center, Iowa).
• “Watch me study: effect of being observed on distractions during studying” by Brianna Evink (Arden Hills, Minn.) and Heidi Rozenboom (Sioux Falls, S.D.).