NEWS & EVENTS
Dordt College News
Ag research presented by students Wednesday
April 26, 2010
Pictured with the original model grain dust simulator (constructed in 2008) is Jon Van Keulen. A sealed chamber and powdered coffee creamer illustrated how flash fires in grain elevators occur. A redesigned simulator will be demonstrated Wednesday by James Korver and Lane Mars.
Agricultural research conducted by Dordt students will be presented to the public on Wednesday, April 28, from 7-9:15 p.m. in the Science and Technology Center lecture hall SB-101.
The evening is guaranteed to end with a bang, with an outdoor demonstration of a grain dust explosion simulator offered by the final group.
Group presentations are as follow:
• 7:05 p.m.: “Biochar – Thinking Long Term” by Luke Bruning (Red Oak, Iowa), Adria Stamm (Washington, Kan.), Steven Oswald (Sioux Center, Iowa) and Neal Vellema (Harris, Iowa)
• 7:25 p.m.: “Factors Affecting Vending Machine Milk Product Sales at Dordt” by Rachel Werkhoven (Monroe, Wash.) and Adam Westenbroek (Ontario, Calif.)
• 7:45 p.m.: “Dietary Supplementation of Reject Isowean Piglets” by Keith De Jong (Sheldon, Iowa)
• 7:55 p.m.: “Demonstrating the Potential for an Equine Lab at Dordt” by Evan Cowen-Gulbrandsen (Parker, Colo.), Stacie Gorham (Coatesville, Ind.), and Angela Kooiker (Boyden, Iowa)
• 8:15 p.m.: “Effectiveness of a High School Educational Unit on Sustainability and Bioenergy,” by Bethany Bierma (Sioux Center, Iowa) and Amanda Stout (Dunkerton, Iowa)
• 8:35 p.m.: “Comparison of Four Supplemental Feeding Programs on the Growth and Health of Dairy Calves” by Brett Heidema (Manhattan, Mont.) John Lindstrom (Beresford, SD) and Andrew VanderWoude (Parma, Idaho)
• 8:55 p.m.: “Redesigning Dordt’s Grain Dust Explosion Simulator,” by James Korver (Maurice, Iowa) and Lane Mars (Orange City, Iowa)
All who are interested in the work of these Dordt College agricultural students are welcome to attend.