We're glad you're here
First, Some housekeeping:
- We're doing our best to finalize plans, but these events are subject to change due to COVID-19 protocols and other scheduling adjustments. Please continue to check back for the most up-to-date information.
- There are a variety of precautionary measures Dordt is taking to protect students and this community, please check out our COVID-19 information station to learn more.
Okay—Let's rock and roll!
See schedule below for more information on these items:
So... what's WOW?
Short answer? One of the best weekends on campus.
Week of Welcome, or as we like to call it: WOW, is an event designed to immerse new students into campus culture and community, while also acclimating them to what college might be like before classes start. It's a great way for students to make friends, get comfortable with the campus, and feel settled into their new home-away-from-home.
Step 1: Saturday
Here's a quick look at our move-in and groovin' fun.
Step 2: Sunday
On Sunday, we will have a variety of experiences planned for students including the opportunity to tune in to or join a local church in the morning and other community-building activities.
Step 3: Monday
Monday will include a bunch more fun activities, meetings with academic advisers throughout the day, and will provide students enough time to check out where their classes will be on-campus and prepare for classes on Tuesday.
Schedule of events
This schedule is tentative and subject to change.
friday, August 21:
- 10 a.m.-10 p.m. – Move-in (residence halls)
- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. – Registration open (Campus Center)
saturday, August 22:
- 7 a.m. – Move-in (residence halls), registration process opens, grab and go breakfast opens (Campus Center)
- 8 a.m.-12 p.m. – Student advising sessions* (faculty offices)
- 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. – Box lunches and department expo (campus green)
- 1:30-2:30 p.m. – WOW meeting #1* (campus green)
- 1:30-2:15 p.m. – Parent information panel (B.J. Haan Auditorium & Zoom)
- 2:15-3 p.m. – Parent social (De Yager Activity Center)
- 2:30-4 p.m. – Choral auditions (music building)
- 3:15-4 p.m. – Prayer walk (Clock Tower)
- 4:15-5 p.m. – Meeting with resident assistants* (residence halls)
- 5-7 p.m. – WOW picnic (behind the Commons)
- 7 p.m. – WOW meeting #2* (campus green)
- 8 p.m. – Welcoming Celebration* (campus green & Livestream)
- 9 p.m. – Ice cream social (Clock Tower)
sunday, August 23:
- 7:30-9:30 a.m. – Breakfast (students only, in the Commons)
- Various times – Church, Livestream
- 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. – Lunch (students only, in the Commons)
- 1-1:30 p.m. – Parents say their goodbyes
- 1:30-2 p.m. – WOW meeting #3 (campus green)
- 2-4 p.m. – Olympics preliminaries (wear your name tag, campus green)
- 4-5:30 p.m. – Dinner (hosted by President Erik and Dr. Barb Hoekstra, Rec Center)
- Various times – Church, Livestream
- 8 p.m. – All-campus worship (campus green)
monday, August 24:
- 7:30-9 a.m. – Breakfast (Commons)
- 9-10 a.m. – Devotions, meal information, and Canvas tutorial (in WOW groups, campus green)
- 10:15-11 a.m. – Program preview (various departments)
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. – Student advising sessions* (faculty offices)
- 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Choral auditions (Music Building)
- 11 a.m.-2 p.m. – Lunch (Commons)
- 1:30-3 p.m. – Student employee meetings
- 3:30-4:45 p.m. – Assessment activities
- 5-6:30 p.m. – Picnic (Grille area)
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. – WOW Olympics (behind Southview)
- 8:30 p.m. – Defender Crunch time (Clock Tower)
tuesday, August 25:
- 8 a.m. – Classes begin
- 7:30 p.m. – "The Show"/Wing Meetings (B.J. Haan) – POSTPONED
- 8:30 p.m. – Community Standards Meeting (B.J. Haan)
- 9:00 p.m. – "The Show"/Wing Meetings (B.J. Haan) – POSTPONED
- 10:00 p.m. – Community standards meeting (B.J. Haan)
wednesday, August 26:
- 11 a.m. – Chapel (B.J. Haan)
- 2-5:30 p.m. – WOW talent show auditions (B.J. Haan)
thursday, August 27
- 8-9:30 p.m. – Club Fair (Rec Center)
friday, August 28:
- 11 a.m. – Convocation (B.J. Haan)
- 9 p.m. – All-campus block party (campus green)
saturday, August 29:
- 9 p.m. – WOW talent show (campus green)
sunday, August 30:
- 8:30-9:30 p.m. – Small group kick-off (Clock Tower)
*required student events
Take a look around
We hope you'll check it out in person sometime soon!
Before you arrive
What to pack
These are tough decisions, let us help!