Dr. Justin Bailey
Associate Professor of Theology
I work at the intersection of Christian theology, culture, and ministry. My work as a professor explores the ways that culture shapes the practice of Christian faith, as well as the ways that the Christian faith enables culture care. I am the host of the In All Things podcast, and I write regularly for the online journal. My written work has also appeared in Christianity Today, The Banner, and the Reformed Journal, as well as academic publications such as Christian Scholars Review and the International Journal of Public Theology.
As a theology professor at Dordt, I resonate deeply with Dordt’s task and calling to provide an academically rigorous and culturally engaged education, shaped deeply by the Reformed theological vision. I am an ordained minister in the Christian Reformed Church, and have served as a pastor in Filipino-American, Korean-American, and white-American settings.
BOOKS & BOOK CHAPTERS
- Interpreting Your World: Five Lenses For Engaging Theology and Culture. Baker Academic, 2022.
- Reimagining Apologetics: The Beauty of Faith in a Secular Age. IVP Academic, 2020. (media here)
- “The Impact of Social Media” in Hak Joon Lee and Timothy A. Dearborn, eds. Doing Justice: Diverse Responses to Divisive Issues. IVP Academic, 2020.
- “Welcome to the Blogosphere,” in Everyday Theology. Eds. Kevin J. Vanhoozer, Charles Anderson and Michael Sleasman. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007.
OTHER SELECT PUBLICATIONS
- "The Evangelical Bubble Needs a Doorway," Christianity Today. November 2, 2022.
- "Pagans, Puritans, and Putting Christ Back in Christmas," The Banner. December 2, 2019.
- “The Theodramatic Imagination.” International Journal of Public Theology: 12 (2018), 455–470
- “The Body in Cyberspace: Lanier, Merleau-Ponty, and the Norms of Embodiment.” Christian Scholars Review 45, no. 3 (2016): 211-228. ***Awarded the Charles J. Miller award for most outstanding article in volume 45***
- “In Search of Stronger Spells.” Inheritance Magazine, Volume 53, 2017.
AREAS OF INTEREST
cultural hermeneutics, imaginative apologetics, Protestant aesthetics, spiritual formation, technology & media, faith & doubt
- Kingdom, Identity, & Calling
- Biblical Foundations
- Biblical Study Methods
- New Testament Letters
- Teaching the Bible
- Spiritual Formation
- Gospel, Church, & Culture
- Christianity & Popular Culture
- Christian Ethics
- Leadership & Discipleship
- Aesthetics: Imagination, Beauty, & the Arts
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
Ordained Minister, CRCNA
Board Member, Center for Public Justice
Ecclesial Fellow, Center for Pastor Theologians
- Ph.D. Fuller Seminary, 2017.
- Th.M. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 2013.
- M.Div. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 2007.
- B.A. Moody Bible Institute, 2002.