Instructor of Criminal Justice
I have spent my adult life serving the Lord, our country and our community. I have been in law enforcement for 30 years. For over 22 years I was a Special Agent for the FBI and was an agent that handled all types of federal investigations (Violent Crimes, White Collar Crimes, Cybercrimes, and Counterterrorism). I am still a part-time sheriff's deputy in the area.
Utilizing my knowledge and experiences, I enjoy teaching the next generation about the criminal justice system, the legal system, and policing. It is important to examine and study each of these areas acknowledging the sinful nature of man and through the lens of grace and mercy.
I have worked many high profile cases and look forward to sharing these case studies with students to help further their learning. Some of the cases I have been involved with are the kidnapping and safe return of Alicia Kozakiewicz, the Amerithrax investigation, and the DC Sniper killings by Malvo & Muhammad. I have interviewed serial killer, Robert Ben Rhoades and worked the first homicide of serial killer, Charles Severance. I was a First Responder during the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon and was the FBI HMRT team leader on the first FBI Hazmat and Evidence Response team to enter the Pentagon on 9/12.
Prior to the FBI, I was an inner city patrol officer and an undercover detective for the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department. I was undercover 24/7 for three years and lived amongst the addicts and dealers. It was during this time as an undercover narc, that God revealed himself to me through the tragedy I was witnessing and I became saved by the grace of Jesus Christ.
- M.S. in Justice Administration with specializations in Law Enforcement and Investigations, University of the Cumberlands
- B.A. in Justice Administration, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Shining a Light on Mental Health. 2022, May 3. In All Things
- Police Get Their Budgets Back. 2021, Oct 20. World Magazine
- How to be a Christian in Law Enforcement. 2021, Sept 9. The Gospel Coalition
- NYC Ends Qualified Immunity for Police. 2021, Apr 7. World Magazine
- Be the Solution: Helping Victims of Child Sexual Abuse Material: A Guide for Law Enforcement. 2021, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Jon Moeller: The FBI Special Agent who rescued 13-year old Alicia Kozakiewicz from captivity. 2019, Nov 11. Inside Crime Podcast
MEMBERSHIPS & PUBLIC SERVICE
- President, Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA), Iowa/Nebraska
- Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)
- The Federalist Society
- Life Member, Alpha Phi Sigma, Criminal Justice Honor Society
- Sons of the American Legion
I am married with four children. Besides family and country, another passion of mine is baseball. I love sharing Christ with professional baseball players. I have served with the ministry of Baseball Chapel for 18 years and currently serve as the chaplain for the Sioux City Explorers.