Dr. Carl Fictorie
Professor of Chemistry
May God grant the Christian scholar in a still higher degree the courage, perseverance, and energy "to go back to his own principles in his thinking, to renew all scientific investigation on the lines of these principles, and to glut the press with the burden of his cogent studies." Abraham Kuyper, Lectures on Calvinism, 1898.
Education and Experience
- Professor of Chemistry, Dordt University, 1995-present
- President, Prairie Chapter of the American Scientific Affiliation (ASA)
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, Materials Chemistry, 1997; J. F. Evans, Advisor
- B.A., Dordt University, Chemistry and Physics, 1990
- Chem 111: General Chemistry
The first course in the chemistry major addressing the most fundamental issues in chemistry: atoms and molecules, chemical bonding, reactions, kinetics, energy, and equilibrium.
- Chem 212: Chemical Analysis
A foundational course addressing the questions "What is it?" and "How much is there?"
- Chem/Envr 251: Environmental Chemistry
How we use basic chemical principles to understand ecosystems and pollution.
- Chem 271: Inorganic Chemistry
Learning how the periodic table organizes chemical knowledge.
- Chem 231: Foundations of Physical Chemistry
A second look at energy in chemistry, quantum chemistry, and chemical kinetics.
- Chem 312: Instrumental Analysis
Mastering the tools and instrumentation used to investigate atomic and molecular structure and properties.
- Chem 333: Quantum Chemistry
Using quantum mechanics to understand atoms and molecules.
- Chem/Phys 305: Perspectives in Physical Science
How do we know what we know, scientifically?
- Preparation and analysis of biomass-based catalysts for the synthesis of biodiesel.
- Chemical Education
- Philosophy of Chemistry
- "Science for All Christians", a collection of essays edited by C. Fictorie, J. Ploegstra, and C. Visscher, 2022.
- Review of Hyle: International Journal for Philosophy of Chemistry, Volume 9, 2003. "Special Issue on Aesthetics and Visualization in Chemistry & Chemistry in Art"
- "A Simple Choice: A Review Essay" Pro Rege, June 2010.
- "A Little Book for New Scientists: Book Review" Pro Rege, March 2017.
- Review of Understanding Ignorance, Pro Rege, September 2019.
- Occasional posts at in All things.