Apr 15, 2024

Dordt Wind Symphony invited to perform at prestigious state conference

The Dordt University Wind Symphony will perform at Iowa Bandmasters Association (IBA) Annual Conference in Des Moines in May. Director Dr. Onsby Rose highlights the significance of the opportunity for students to showcase their talent to over 2,000 music educators, emphasizing the exceptional quality of Dordt's non-music-major musicians.

The Dordt University Wind Symphony has been invited to perform at the Iowa Bandmasters Association (IBA)’s Annual Conference in Des Moines in May. This is a prestigious honor, as only a few receive an invitation to perform at the May conference. This invitation is recommended from a peer-reviewed panel of ensemble directors.

“This is similar to if one of our athletics teams won the NAIA championship,” says Dr. Onsby Rose, director of instrumental activities. “When I found out that we had been invited to perform at IBA, I yelled ‘hallelujah, praise God!’ at the top of my lungs. It is very prestigious to be selected to perform at the state conference.”

Rose says that this is a wonderful opportunity for Dordt students to perform for musicians from around the state that would likely not get to come to a concert on Dordt’s campus. Dordt will perform for a packed room of about 2,000 music educators, of which half are high school and college band directors from around Iowa. “Basically, it’s our time to shine to all of those that either aspire to play in or lead college bands, and those that are currently doing so,” explains Rose. “Performing for all the Iowa high school band directors places Dordt on their radar, not just through the performance, but also through knowing that we must consistently produce a top-notch program to be invited to perform.”

The caliber of Dordt’s music students is impressive, adds Rose. “Their shared faith in God, their work effort, and the fact that they achieve the same level of music-making in ensembles at other much larger universities, where most ensembles are comprised of those majoring in music.”

Only 10% of Dordt’s Wind Symphony are music majors; the other 90% have chosen to major in other fields but are still playing at the same level as a music major.

“That is God’s hand at work through our students, and through His guidance of our faculty,” says Rose. “I am completely convinced we are able to achieve what we achieve because we place our trust in God for all that we do, and he leads the students and faculty to excellence even in the face of challenges.”

About Dordt University

As an institution of higher education committed to the Reformed Christian perspective, Dordt University equips students, faculty, alumni, and the broader community to work toward Christ-centered renewal in all aspects of contemporary life. Located in Sioux Center, Iowa, Dordt is a comprehensive university named to the best college lists by U.S. News and World Report, The Wall Street Journal, Times Higher Education, Forbes.com, Washington Monthly, and Princeton Review.

A picture of campus behind yellow prairie flowers