The Concert Band is a select group of 50 instrumentalists who perform wind and percussion masterworks and premiere new compositions and arrangements. The ensemble has gained a reputation for performances that are extremely expressive and beautiful, as well as technically sound.
Director of Instrumental Music Dr. Bradley Miedema conducts the Concert Band, as well as the Campus-Community Band. Dordt's wind ensemble program also includes the Jazz Band and smaller chamber ensembles.
Recent repertoire includes:
- O Magnum Mysterium, Lauridsen/Reynolds
- Suite of Old American Dances, Bennett
- Yiddish Dances, Gorb
- Occident et Orient, Op. 25, Saint-Saëns/Schissel
- Sketches on a Tudor Psalm, Tull
- Festive Overture, Shostakovich
- La Fiesta Mexicana, Reed
- Fervent is My Longing, Bach
- First Suite in E-flat, Holst
- Variants on a Mediaeval Tune, Dello Joio
- Suite Française, Milhaud
- Puszta, Van der Roost
- Lincolnshire Posy, Grainger
- Chester, Schuman
- Overture to "Candide," Bernstein
- Wedding Dance, Press/Fennell
The band tours extensively throughout the United States and Canada and performed in Hungary and Romania during the summer of 2006. Recent tours include the Southwest and the Northeast US, including a performance in the magnificent Mechanics Hall in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Anyone interested in visiting a rehearsal of the Dordt College Concert Band can come to the Instrumental Music Room (M108) Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 5:00 to 6:05 p.m.