Dr. Thomas Van Soelen
Graduate Education Assistant Adjunct
After a decade of educational leadership experience, I am excited to primarily teach EDUC 561: Instructional Leadership.
- B.A. Elementary Education, K-12 Choral/Instrumental Music, Dordt College
- M.Ed. Elementary Education, Florida Atlantic University
- Ed.S. Educational Leadership, Florida Atlantic University
Ph.D. Elementary Education, University of Georgia
- Van Soelen, T.M. (May, 2019). Talking the Talk: Part Two. Communicator, 42(9), National Association of Elementary School Principals.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (April, 2019). Walking the Walk: Part One. Communicator, 42(8), National Association of Elementary School Principals.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (March, 2019). Review of Amplify Your Impact: Coaching Collaborative Teams in PLCs at Work. School Administrator, 76(3), p. 45.
- Van Soelen, T.M., Kersey, S.N., Chester, C., LeMoyne, M., & Perkins Williams, R. (February, 2019). Roots and wings: Principal prepares assistants for career transitions. The Learning Professional, 38(4), pp. 36-40.
- Van Soelen, T. (April, 2018). Get Your Team Unstuck. Your Learning Network, Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development online newsletter.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (March 20, 2018). Rethinking Parent-Teacher Conferences. American School Board Journal online. National School Boards Association.
- Alejandro, Z., Garland, S., Kennedy, S., & Van Soelen, T. (August, 2017). Preschool is school: Early childhood educators need relevant, collaborative, and aligned learning. The Learning Professional, 38(4), pp. 46-50.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (December 29, 2016). Four Ways to Make Professional Development Work. Guest blog post on Leadership 360 online, Education Week.
- Van Soelen, T.M., Kersey, S.N., Perkins, R. (November, 2016). Teacher evaluation and support are not mutually exclusive. Principal Leadership, 17:3, 44-47.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (June 23, 2016). Team work boosts student learning and professional community. Phi Delta Kappan Common Core Writing Project.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (2016). Crafting the feedback teachers need and deserve: A guide for leaders. NY: Routledge/Taylor and Francis.
From Doing Protocols to Using Them, invited preconference session at the international Learning Forward Conference, Dallas, TX, December 2018
Shifting From Zero Tolerance to Equitable Discipline, Learning Forward Conference, Dallas, TX, December 2018
Crafting the Feedback Your Teachers Need and Deserve, Georgia Association of Educational Leaders, Jekyll Island, GA, July 2018
Crafting the Feedback Your Teachers Need and Deserve, American Association for School Administrators, Nashville, TN, February 2018
Building a Learning Community Focused on Equity, invited preconference session at the Iowa Culture and Language Conference, Coralville, IA, November 2017