You'll have a better experience on this website using a secure, up-to-date browser. Click here for information and instructions about updating.
Dr. Mike Janssen
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Phone: (712) 722-6398
Ph.D., The University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Mathematics, 2013)
M.S., The University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Mathematics, 2009)
B.S., The University of South Dakota (Mathematics/Physics, 2007)
Areas of Interest
Mathematically, I am interested in what is often called pure mathematics. That is, I love thinking about a mathematical puzzle purely for the joy of unfolding that little corner of God's Creation. My Ph.D. work was at the intersection of commutative algebra and algebraic geometry, and explored properties of polynomials satisfying certain constraints.
Lately, I've advised students on several research projects exploring the connections between algebraic structures and discrete mathematical structures such as networks. These have projects have led to multiple publications submitted to undergraduate research journals.
As a professor at Dordt, I'm also very interested in teaching mathematics. All of my classes involve a lot of student-led exploration, known as inquiry-based learning (IBL). I've even written an open source book, Rings with Inquiry, aimed at bringing active learning into the abstract algebra classroom. I've also become particularly active in the mastery grading community, seeking to publicize a more authentic philosophy of assessing student learning.
I sometimes write about these topics and others (including work well in higher education) at my website.
Recent Publications and Preprints
- Delivering Pre-Class Activities via WeBWorK to Impact Student Learning. Under revision (with V. Zonnefeld)
- Comparing Powers of Edge Ideals, J. Alg. Appl, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219498819501846 (with T. Kamp '18, J. Vander Woude '18)
- Mastery-Based Testing in Undergraduate Mathematics Courses, PRIMUS, 29:5, 441-460, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/10511970.2018.1488317 (with J.B Collins, A. Harsy, J. Hart, K. Haymaker, J. Stewart Kelly, J. OShaugnessy)
- The Waldschmidt Constant for Squarefree Monomial Ideals, J Algebr Comb (2016) 44: 875. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10801-016-0693-7 (with C. Bocci, S. Cooper, E. Guardo, et al.)
- On the Fattening of Lines in P3, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 219(4):1055-1061, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpaa.2014.05.033
- Containment problem for points on a reducible conic in P2, Journal of Algebra, 394(0):120-138, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jalgebra.2013.06.032 (with A. Denkert)
Math 149 - Explorations in Modern Mathematics
Math 152 - Calculus I
Math 153 - Calculus II
Math 203 - Linear Algebra
Math 212 - Discrete Structures
Math 291 - Problem Solving Seminar
Math 304 - Abstract Algebra I
Math 342 - Special Topics: The Joy of Numbers
Math 342 - Special Topics: Foundations of Mathematics
Math 343 - Special Topics: Computational Algebra
Math 390 - History of Math
Stat 131 - Introduction to Statistics
Stat 201 - Applied Statistical Models
Stat 202 - Econometrics
Core 399 - Calling, Task, Culture