Copyright ComplianceReturn to Consumer Information
Copyright Compliance Policy
We at Dordt University recognize and respect intellectual property rights and are committed to fulfilling our moral and legal obligations with respect to our use of copyright-protected works.
As a matter of moral integrity and adherence to copyright law, Dordt University sets forth these policies for all employees and students:
1. No employee or student of Dordt University may reproduce any copyrighted work in print, video, or digital form in violation of the law. Works are considered protected even if they are not registered with the U.S. Copyright Office or any registering agency outside the U.S. and even if they do not carry the copyright symbol (©). In general, the laws that apply to printed materials also apply to visual and digital formats. Copyrighted works include, but are not limited to:
- articles from print publications,
- articles in online publications,
- online videos, movies, TV, and radio programs,
- recorded music performances,
- training materials, manuals, and documentation,
- software programs,
- websites and blogs,
- streaming media,
- music downloads,
- mobile apps,
- CDs and DVDs
2. Dordt University designates the Director of Library Services as the copyright officer to administer our copyright policy. The Director of Library Services can help to determine whether a work is covered by fair use, the TEACH Act, or existing licenses and can provide advice on how to handle any special copyright issues.
3. To obtain permission to reproduce copyrighted works outside of Dordt University and/or to use such works in ways that are not covered by fair use, the TEACH Act, or existing license agreements, employees should request permissions by contacting the copyright holder. Direct questions about specific procedures to the Director of Library Services.
Dordt University expects its employees and students to be responsible consumers of copyrighted materials. We also encourage employees and students to educate their peers on copyright compliance.
If any employee or student witnesses a potential copyright infringement, please bring the matter to the attention of the individual as well as to our Director of Library Services. Employees or students who illegally duplicate copyrighted works may be subject to disciplinary action.