Dr. Steve Holtrop
Professor of Education
A Christian worldview helps equip people to follow their callings to enjoy God and his creation, to learn and grow in wisdom and maturity, and to contribute to building God's kingdom in their own unique ways. My passion is helping to bring a biblical perspective to all ages of learners, including young adults and older adults. I've enjoyed teaching writing, journalism, and critical thinking as a high school teacher in Florida and Iowa. At the university level, I love teaching future teachers and emerging educational leaders, both at the undergraduate and graduate level.
What I do at Dordt University
At Dordt I regularly teach a graduate course in curriculum development and have also taught action research (3 years), undergraduate philosophy of education (5 years), and a lifespan development course (2 years).
I direct the Master of Education (M.Ed.) graduate program. The M.Ed. offers specializations in school leadership, teacher leadership, special education, early childhood education, developmental reading, educational technology, sport leadership, and instructional coaching.
I also serve as Director of Graduate Studies as Dordt explores and launches additional graduate programs. Check out our new Master of Social Work (MSW) and Master of Public Administration (MPA) graduate programs!
- Graduate teaching emphases: curriculum, research, technology
- Undergraduate teaching emphases: philosophy of education, secondary methods, educational psychology, diversity
- High school teaching: English, journalism
- Previous institutions served:
- Westminster Christian High School (Miami, FL)
- Unity Christian High School (Orange City, IA)
- Huntington University (Huntington, IN)
Recent publication and conference presentation topics
- Teaching Christianly
- Transformational Christian graduate programs
- Spiritual formation & faith integration
- Friend of God
- Different Christian perspectives on philosophy of education
- Adult & graduate program development
- Teaching adult students
- Ph.D. University of Iowa - English education, social foundations of education
- Dissertation: Using scaffolding in the teaching of writing
- M.A. University of Iowa - English education, journalism education
- B.A. Calvin University - English, religion, secondary education
- Birthplace: Amsterdam
- First teaching: sailing merit badge at Boy Scout camp, age 16
- Hobbies: hiking, photography
- Lived in 7 states: Iowa, Indiana, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Illinois