Dr. Joseph Keryakos
Assistant Professor of Health Sciences
Dr. Joseph Keryakos, PharmD, is the Assistant Professor of Health Sciences and the Chief Health Professions Advisor in the Biology and Health & Human Performance (HHP) Departments. Dr. Keryakos joined Dordt University in June 2021, where he teaches and mentors students in pre-pharmacy, pre-medicine, pre-dentistry, pre-physical therapy, and other pre-professional programs. He is also the founder of the Pre-Health Professions Club (PHPC), one of Dordt’s largest student organizations.
Dr. Keryakos earned his Bachelor of Science in Biology in Honoribus with a minor in chemistry from Northern State University (NSU) in Aberdeen, SD. He then obtained his Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences with Honors College Distinction, followed by his Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree from South Dakota State University (SDSU) in Brookings, SD.
His research interests lie in the areas of pharmacology, public health and wellness, human genetics, and cellular physiology. Recent research experiences were conducted in consultation with clinical pharmacists, pharmaceutical scientists, biologists, and geneticists. Among his latest publications as the lead author are “The Role of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter-2 Inhibitors in Readmissions for Congestive Heart Failure,” Journal of Young Pharmacists (2021) and “The Association of TAS1R2 to Dental and Cardiovascular Health," American Journal of Undergraduate Research (2019). Future prospective research projects include behavioral and molecular pharmacology, epigenetics and non-coding RNA, drug metabolism and metabolomics, and mechanistic toxicology.
In his current role, Dr. Keryakos teaches a variety of face-to-face, hybrid, synchronous, and asynchronous courses. Most of his lectures are accompanied by labs that further hone in on the subject matter and teach the latest techniques in research. Courses taught by Dr. Keryakos include:
- Advanced Cell & Molecular Biology
- Advanced Genetics
- Advanced Medical Pharmacology
- Directed Research
- Exercise Physiology & Biomechanics
- Medical Terminology
- Personal & Public Health
Dr. Keryakos holds memberships in regional, national, and international professional organizations, including:
- The American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
- The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
- The National Community Oncology Dispensing Association (NCODA)
- The National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP)
- The American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Kappa Psi Professional Pharmaceutical Fraternity (ΚΨ)
- Fédération Internationale Pharmaceutique (FIP)
- South Dakota Society of Health-System Pharmacists (SDSHP)