Dordt hosts Defender Days 2017 on October 13 and 14
- Posted Thursday, October 5, 2017
Dordt Defender Days is coming to Sioux Center. Dordt’s biggest event of the year, Defender Days is a celebration of God’s work in the students, alumni, and college. The public is encouraged to attend and register online.
The two-day celebration features a variety of exciting events. Friday evening is the Defender Nation Dinner at De Yager Student Center. This banquet honors the college’s Distinguished Alumni Award recipient (Mike Vander Wel, P.E., ’89) and its first Horizon Award recipient (Kendra Broekhuis, ’11). The Horizon Award identifies alumni who are community-minded and entrepreneurial, using their knowledge, gifts, and talents to participate in God’s redemptive work in the world.
Following dinner, Dordt’s bands and choir will perform at the Fall Music Festival at the B.J. Haan Auditorium. Late Night with the Defenders is at 10 p.m., which includes basketball scrimmages, a chance to meet the players, and a dance team performance. On Saturday, there will be a tailgate at the football field with donations going towards Dordt’s P.L.I.A. mission trips. In previous years, this tailgate has seen upwards of 500 people, so get there early.
Other events include:
- Dordt’s fall theater production, A Wrinkle in Time (7:30 p.m. on Thursday, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Te Paske Theater)
- Business Connections Breakfast with Deb Broek, instructor for Big Four accounting firms (6:45 a.m. on Friday, De Yager Student Center)
- Art Faculty Exhibition (8 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, Campus Center Gallery)
- Goheen Gallup 5K cross-country race and 1.5 mile jog/walk (4:30 p.m. on Friday, Soccer Field)
- A variety of varsity and alumni sporting events such as hockey, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, volleyball, and football.
For full schedule and registration information, see https://www.dordt.edu/events/defender-days.