Application Deadline: Application deadline for Summer 2019 program is January 31, 2019.
Who is Eligible to Apply:
- Students who have not received a 4-year undergraduate degree by Summer 2019 are eligible to apply for this REU
- Students who are a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident of the US are eligible to apply for this REU – international students are not eligible for this REU
- Students from institutions other than Dordt College are eligible – and encouraged – to apply for this REU
Questions: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the application process, or if you are wondering about the status of your application.
ALL documents must be in pdf format.
A completed application consists of 4 components: (1) Application cover page, (2) undergraduate transcript, (3) a letter of recommendation from a reference, and (4) application essay. These four components are described below
Component 1 will automatically be forwarded to the appropriate person. Components 2 through 4 each have their own upload link. You will receive an email confirming the receipt of your completed application when all 4 components have been received.
- Application cover page: Please complete the Application Cover Page.
- Undergraduate transcript: Please include a copy of your undergraduate transcript to date (an unofficial version is fine). The transcript should include course name and grade earned, as well as the name of the institution where the courses were taken. Upload transcript (must be in pdf format).
- Letter of recommendation: Please have at least one individual (typically a faculty member) write a letter of recommendation in support of your application. One of the key items they should address is their knowledge of your ability to work in a group. Please provide the faculty member with this link where they will upload their letter of recommendation. It must come directly from the person writing the recommendation and may not be uploaded by the applicant.
- Application essay: Upload application essay (must be in pdf format). The application essay should be no more than three pages single spaced and include answers to the following questions:
- What excites you about your primary fields of study in college? What are those fields?
- What are your career plans?
- If you are a BS/BA student, is a Ph.D./MS or other graduate school in those plans?
- If you are an AA student, is a BS/BA in those plans
- What excites you about the prospect of doing research for the summer? Why do you want to do research?
- What relevant courses and other training have you had and how has it prepared you for research? What other relevant skills do you possess?
- Please include some information about yourself personally, not only personality/traits, but also hobbies and interests outside of your studies.
The essay is a critical component of your application. While there is no required format, please include headings for the seven areas above, along with sections for other topics you wish to address.