The Week of Welcome (WOW) celebration kicks off in late August for incoming students. Students will be invited to move in to their dorm room, attend an all-campus fair, meet with their advisors, and enjoy a host of activities to help them get acquainted with the college.
Incoming students and parents will be notified via mail and email regarding the schedule of events. Here is an overview of the schedule of events on campus during WOW. A complete list of activities will be available at check-in for incoming students and parents on Saturday, August 25.
Parents are strongly encouraged to participate in activities on Saturday. This is an opportunity for you to learn more about how Dordt serves your students and meet other parents. We'll have a registration table for parents in the Campus Center to pick up name tags and the Parent Handbook.
The Bookstore, Business Office and Registrar's Offices will be open on Saturday, August 25 to answer questions and help students with final enrollment details.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25
- 7-10 a.m. - Check-in/registration/grab-and-go breakfast
- This will be your first stop on campus. You will need to pick up welcome baskets, nametags, ID cards, other information. Younger siblings can also register for our Little Sibs program.
- 7:00-10:30 a.m. - Move in
- WOW staff and athletic teams are ready to help you move your belongings into your dorm room.
- 11:30 am. - Welcoming celebration
- Dordt faculty and staff will join parents and incoming students in a welcoming ceremony. This is a time for us to worship and be welcomed by Dordt faculty and staff.
- 12:30-2 p.m. - Lunch is provided for family members
- Students are also able to visit the Department Expo to find out more about clubs on campus.
- 2 p.m. - Parent Information Panel
- President Hoekstra will welcome parents and you'll be able to hear from several departments including Student Services, Campus Health, Career Development Center, and Academic Enrichment Center about the services offered to your students. This is also a great time to answer any of your parent-specific questions.
- 3:15-3:45 p.m. - Prayer walk
- Join fellow parents and Dordt staff as we pray over our students, families, faculty, staff, and administration.
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. - Parent's social (with refreshments)
- President and Dr. Barb Hoekstra invite you to their home to spend time with them and other parents. This is a come-and-go type event.
- 6-7:00 p.m. - WOW picnic
- Families are invited to join us in the Recreation Center for dinner.
- 9:30 p.m. - Ice Cream Social
- Students will have meetings with advisors and Resident Assistants following the picnic so we encourage everyone to reconnect in the evening at the Ice Cream Social.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 26
- 8:30-9:30 a.m. - Breakfast in Dining Hall/Commons
- Incoming students eat for free and family members are welcome to join for $5 per person.
- 9:30am-11:00 a.m. - Church services
- We will have shuttles available to take students and families to local morning worship services. More information regarding shuttles will be shared with your student when they arrive on campus.
- 11:30-1:00 p.m. - Noon meal
- Families are again invited to join their student in the Commons for a noon meal. Incoming students eat for free and family members are welcome to join for $6 per person.
- 12:30-1:30 p.m. - Parents say their goodbyes
Event Location: Campus Center