Women's Varsity Softball vs. Mount Marty
March 21, 2017
Dordt defeats Mount Marty 8-7
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dordt earned a sweep of Mount Marty in game two of the doubleheader with Mount Marty on Tuesday night in Yankton.
The Defenders left two runners stranded in the first and another in the second before breaking through with two runs on two hits in the third inning. Michal Huizenga knocked in two runs with a single in the frame to give Dordt the 2-0 lead.
Mount Marty came back with a run in the third on two this but left two runner stranded as well.
Marissa Vanden Berg delivered a double to push Carley DeRoin in and Rachel Evavold scored a run in the fifth inning on a passed ball to put Dordt up 4-1.
Mount Marty took the lead with four runs on three hits and one error. The hosts missed out on an even bigger inning when the last two outs were recorded with the bases loaded. Marlia Mundorf came in to finish the inning and got the Defenders out of the jam.
Trailing 5-4, the Defenders plated four runs courtesy one hit and two of Mount Marty’s four errors in the game to retake the lead and the Defenders held on as Mount Marty threatened with two runs in the sixth and Tianna Top came on to work a perfect seventh for the save in the 8-7 win.
- VandenBerg led Defenders with three hits and two runs batted in.
- Tessa Howerzyl scored two runs and walked once.
- Summer Jansen had two hits and a run batted in and Michal Huizenga had three runs batted in with one hit.
- CJ VanDerZwaag started the game and went four and one-third innings and allowed five runs on seven hits with two strikeouts.
- Mundorf pitched an inning and two-third and allowed two runs and one strikeout.
- Top pitched an inning and struck out one and got the save.
- Dordt is 8-7 and 2-0 in league play. Mount Marty is 6-10 and 0-2.
- Dordt will host College of Saint Mary on Saturday, March 25 at 1:00.