You'll have a better experience on this website using a secure, up-to-date browser. Click here for information and instructions about updating.
SCHOLARSHIPS I RECEIVED
- Presidential Scholarship
- Kuyper Honors Program Grant
- Track and Field Athletic Scholarship
FAVORITE SPOT ON CAMPUS
The big tree behind the classroom building
History of the Muslim World, Floor Gymnastics, Social Psychology
A CONCEPT THAT BLEW MY MIND
When I finally made the connection that vectors in a variety of dimensions could represent matrices and therefore create a basis for linear regression models, I was dumbfounded and ecstatic.
COOL THINGS I DID AT DORDT
- Iowa is not renowned for its mountains, but Dordt does happen to be nearby the highest spot in Iowa, "Hawkeye Point." I'm from Colorado and really enjoy rock climbing, so my friend Derek and I made a satirical documentary about climbing Iowa's highest point. It was incredibly over-dramatic, but very entertaining to film.
- I did summer research, which helped get into a competitive biostatistics summer program in Denver the following year.
- I spent a semester in Nicaragua. While I was there, I learned to surf, went sledding down a volcano, formed lifelong relationships with my host family, and learned about the rich and volatile history of a country not my own.
- I was the MC for NCDC, a singing/band competition between Dordt and Northwestern.
- I played drums in our talent show and performed with some friends at the Fruited Plain.
- I joined the traveling worship band and was able to lead churches all over the area.
- I took a trip to Minneapolis with my arts class and was able to watch an orchestra concert, visit an art museum, and attend a play.
OBSTACLES I'VE OVERCOME
I had to overcome a mild hamstring injury during indoor track my senior season, and I had to learn how to communicate in Spanish when I began my semester abroad.
WHO I WAS WHEN I CAME TO DORDT
I was really excited to start college and be independent, but I was also very nervous about making friends, and I was probably a bit lonely.
HOW DORDT IMPACTED ME
Dordt has challenged me to think about how my faith impacts many areas of my life, and it has drastically changed the way I see my relationships, other people, my passions, and my career ambitions.
WHAT'S NEXT FOR ME
This summer I am working at Dordt and mentoring new students in a statistics program that I had previously participated in myself. After that, I would like to live abroad again. Eventually, I plan to pursue a master’s in biostatistics.
WHAT I WOULD TELL PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
The best thing about Dordt by far is the student body. I have never met such a large group of kind, caring, and compassionate people who are truly willing to invest in you. The professors are also incredibly personal and are always more than happy to help you outside of class. The relationships you make and the changes in perspective that you find that are truly what's important.
HOW DORDT HELPED ME DO MORE
Dordt helped me make connections to faculty members which have really guided me and set me up for success after graduation. The opportunities they have provided for me go much further than classwork and college. Without them, I would be much less confident in leaving for the real world. Dordt also has students that are ready to try new things, go on adventures, and make the college experience amazing. They have profoundly affected the way I see the world, how I interact with others, and my relationship with God. They inspire me to act, to do, and to enjoy the process.