The Dordt University women's track and field team totaled 19 top five finishes at its home meet, the Dordt Invite, held today at Open Space Park.
The 4x400 relay was the lone first place finish for the Defenders as they won with a time of 4:00.9, currently the second fastest time in the GPAC and 12th best in the NAIA. Anna Herman, Emilee Heynen, Mika Kooistra and Emma Bakker were the team members.
Bakker and Alexandra Beckmann recorded a pair of top five finishes in the 100m and 200m, respectively. Bakker was third in the 200m (25.9) and fourth in the 100m (12.58) and Beckmann finished fourth in the 100m (12.5) and sixth in the 200m. Both runners also ran on the Defenders 4x100 relay that finished second (49.85), currently the second fastest time in the GPAC. Erica Nikkel and Mikayla Balt completed the Defenders relay.
Heynen (58.58) and Kooistra (59.72) placed second and fourth, respectively, in the 400m. Heynen has the third best time in the conference.
Seven Dordt runners, led by Anika Homan, finished among the top eight in the 5K. Margaret Myskowski (3rd), Lucy Borkowski (4th), Elyse Kuperus (5th), Mary Kate LeLoux (6th), Sydney Stiemsma (7th) and Shanoah De Waard (8th) round out the top eight.
Lexie Kampman (High Jump) and Saydie Clark (Pole Vault) finished second in their respective field event. Kampman is currently second in the GPAC with her mark (1.59m) in the high jump.
"We had an outstanding home meet to start off the outdoor season," said Dordt University Head Coach Craig Heynen. "Overall our athletes performed well and there were strong performances both in field events and on the track. The ladies in the 4x400 ran very well in picking up the win. Anika Homan in the 5K, along with her teammates taking 8 of the top 9 spots in that event. The 4 x 100 had a strong debut. We also had multiple athletes place well in the jumps and sprints. We are excited to see how we can improve and progress this outdoor season!"
Defenders In The Top 10:
- Alexandra Beckmann - 3rd: 12.5
- (T8th fastest in program history)
- Emma Bakker - 4th: 12.58
- Alexandra Lund - 10th: 13.17
- Emma Bakker - 3rd: 25.93
- Alexandra Beckmann - 6th: 26.85
- Emilee Heynen - 2nd: 58.58
- (8th fastest in program history)
- Mika Kooistra - 4th: 59.72
- Lexi Kampman - 8th: 2:36
- Eden Winslow -10th: 5:04
- Anika Homan - 2nd: 18:45
- Margaret Myskowski - 3rd: 19:24
- Lucy Borkowski - 4th: 19:29
- Elyse Kuperus - 5th: 19:38
- Mary Kate LeLoux - 6th: 19:48
- Sydney Stiemsma - 7th: 20:19
- Shanoah De Waard - 8th: 21:26
- 2nd: 49.85 (Nikkel, Bakker, Balt, Beckmann)
- 4th: 51.86 (Lund, Wingert, Vandermeer, Evenhouse)
- 5th: 54.57 (Veldkamp, DeWit, Bergstrom, Vander Kooi)
- 1st: 4:00.9 (Herman, Heynen, Kooistra, Bakker)
- 5th: 4:29 (Struble, Beckmann, DeJong)
- Lexie Kampman - 2nd: 1.59m
- Emily Wingert - 4th: 1.54m
- Paige Decker - 6th: 1.49m
- Saydie Clark - 2nd: 2.75m
- (8th best in program history)
- Mikayla Balt - 4th: 5.23m
- Bailey Beckman - T6th: 5.17m
- Paige Decker - 5th: 10.18m
- Mikayla Balt - T6th: 10.12m
- Ashley Vandermeer - T6th: 10.12m
- Adeline Bergstrom - 8th: 9.91m
- Jenna Gleason - 7th: 10.18m
- Lynne Tormoehlen - 9th: 9.36m
- Jenna Gleason - 7th: 31.68m
- Lynne Tormoehlen - 8th: 28.36m
- Lynne Tormoehlen - 6th: 36.09m
- (8th best in program history)
- Jenna Gleason - 9th: 31.13m
- (10th best in program history)
- Faith Measel - 10th: 24.91m
The Defenders will compete in the Sioux City Relays next weekend.