4th of 20
SDSU D2 Invite
Four members of the Dordt University men's track and field team met the 'A' standard at today's SDSU D-II Invite held at the Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex in Brookings, S.D.
Davis Tebben was the first Defender to qualify for nationals, doing so in the second running event of the day, the 5K. The senior finished second overall and produced a time of 14:40.8, currently the fastest in the GPAC and sixth in hte NAIA.
Cole Zevenbergen once again met the auto mark in the 600m, an event that he won in today's meet with a time of 1:20.5. Zevenbergen has the second fastest time in the GPAC and fourth best in the NAIA.
Payton Mauldin qualified for nationals in his third event of the indoor season, taking second in the 400m in one of the closest races of the meet. Mauldin crossed the finish line in a time of 48.69, just .03 behind Paul Paul (Mount Marty). The sophomore has the fourth fastest time in a very competitive GPAC field, sixth best in the NAIA.
Jebadiah Merkle was the final Dordt runner to qualify for the NAIA Indoor Championship with his time in the 800m. Merkle won the race in a time of 1:53.38, over a second faster than Cody Farland (Dakota State), and has the second best time in the GPAC, fourth fastest in the NAIA.
Dordt turned in 13 top 10 performances in individual events and also had a top five showing in the 4x400 relay. The Defenders placed fourth among the 20 teams competing, best among NAIA schools.
Defenders in the Top 10:
- Davis Tebben - 2nd: 14:40
- Joe Anderson - 5th: 15:14
- Ethan Summerhays - 10th: 15:45
- Cole Zevenbergen - 1st: 1:20.5
- Payton Mauldin - 2nd: 48.49
- Jebadiah Merkle - 1st: 1:53.38
- Lance Van Zee - 8th: 1:58.6
- Dayton Brunsting - 9th: 1:59.4
- Aidan Vorster - 7th: 2:39.8
- Josh Van Hulzen - 10th: 8.67
- Logan Franken - 9th: 7.07
- Grant Brouwer - 4th: 2.0m
- Luke Bousema - T6th: 1.5m
4x400 - 3rd: 3:19.5
- (Brands, Brouwer, Zevenbergen, Mauldin)
Dordt will compete at the Mount Marty Invite in Yankton, S.D. next weekend (Saturday, Jan. 29).