1st of 9
Defender Holiday Inn Express Classic
- 1st of 9 teams, 18pts
The Dordt University men's cross country team claimed its second title of the season as they won their home meet, the Defenders Holiday Inn Express Classic, held today on Dordt's campus.
- Results |
The Defenders nearly recorded a perfect score, totaling 18 points, and had all seven of its counters finish among the top 10 in the team scoring. Doane finished a distant second with 79 points, followed by Wayne State (Neb.) with 99.
Jacob Vander Plaats and Eric Steiger provided the 1-2 punch for the Defenders, placing second and third among the 116 runners. Vander Plaats ran a personal best 8k time of 25:17 and Steiger turned in a season-best 25:27.
A pack of five Dordt runners crossed the finish line within 13 seconds of each other and occupied the 4th-10th spots individually. Nic Veldhorst was the first of the pack (5th - 25:47), followed by Ethan Summerhays (6th - 25:48), Peter Shippy (7th - 25:53), Trey Engen (8th - 25:55) and Thaniel Schroeder (10th - 26:00), who all ran personal best times.
Daniel Street, running unattached from Mount Marty, was the individual champion with a time of 24:57.
Dordt runners turned in 14 personal bests and 21 season bests this morning.
- Said Head Coach Nate Wolf, "The men’s team had an outstanding day. Missing a couple of our top five runners, the men still put seven runners under 26:00 and claimed seven of the top ten individual spots on the way to scoring 18 points. Jacob and Eric led our team over the course of the race, finishing second and third overall. Ethan and Peter had outstanding races, both running personal bests and finishing among our top five. Trey had his best collegiate race to cross the line in eighth place and fill our No.6 spot."
Dordt's Top Seven:
- 2nd - Jacob Vander Plaats: 25:17
- 3rd - Eric Steiger: 25:27
- 5th - Nic Veldhorst: 25:47
- 6th - Ethan Summerhays: 25:48
- 7th - Peter Shippy: 25:53
- 8th - Trey Engen: 25:55
- 10th - Thaniel Schroeder: 26:00
Career Best Times:
- Jacob Vander Plaats: 25:17
- Ethan Summerhays: 25:48
- Peter Shippy: 25:53
- Trey Engen: 25:55
- Thaniel Schroeder: 26:00
- Aidan Vorster: 26:36
- Riley Ruhaak: 27:36
- Dayton Brunsting: 27:37
- Silas Koros: 27:46
- Zach Elbers: 27:54
- Wrenner Brown: 27:56
- Michael Vander Plaats: 28:28
- Henry Hakanson: 29:33
- Loyal Johnson: 29:36
Dordt will run in the Mount Marty Invite on Oct. 23 in Yankton, S.D. for one final tune-up prior to the conference championship.