Men's Basketball vs. Dakota Wesleyan

You'll have a better experience on this website using a secure, up-to-date browser. Click here for information and instructions about updating.

W 87-85

8:00 PM - Wednesday, November 14, 2018
Mitchell, South Dakota
Conference Match



Dordt defeats Dakota Wesleyan 87-85


The Dordt Defenders overcame a 25 point second half deficit and grabbed their only lead of the second half with five seconds remaining and held on as Dakota Wesleyan’s shot to tie it was off the mark.

The hosts started with an 8-0 run just over two minutes into the game before Ben Gesink got Dordt on the board. The Defenders got all the way back to a 12-12 tie before Garrett Franken gave Dordt a 14-12 lead with 12:42 left in the half and another Franken basket gave the Defenders a brief 16-13 lead.

Wesleyan closed the half with a 38-15 advantage and led 51-31 at the intermission.

The Tigers steadily built on the lead and pushed the difference to 69-44 with 12:52 remaining in regulation and the lead was still 72-51 with 9:50 left in the game.

Chad Barkema got a bucket with 7:40 left in the game to get the difference down to 75-62 but Wesleyan called a timeout and scored five unanswered to lead 80-62 with 6:27 left.

At the 5:02 mark Dordt was still down 83-64. Ben Gesink started Dordt’s final comeback with a three-point basket and after a timeout the Defenders put a fullcourt press on and Garrett Franken came away with a steal and converted a basket for a 14 point difference.

Wesleyan got fouled on the next play and two free throws gave the Tigers their final points of the game with 4:26 left.

Jesse Jansma buried a three and then converted two free throws with 3:26 remaining to get Dordt within 11. Wesleyan followed with a missed free throw and a missed three-point shot and Franken went coast to coast for a basket to cut the lead to single digits.

Another Wesleyan missed free throw allowed Dordt to cut two more off the lead when Barkema made a lay up with 2:07 left and got Dordt to within 85-78. A turnover by Wesleyan and another three by Jansma continued the Dordt run to 85-81.

The hosts settled for a long three-point attempt with 1:26 left and missed and Josh Van Lingen knocked down his first three of the game with 1:16 left to get Dordt to within 85-84.  Wesleyan followed with a missed shot but Dordt turned it back with :26 left in the game.  The Defenders were forced to foul but Wesleyan missed both free throws and Jansma made a three from the left wing with five seconds left for Dordt’s first lead of the second half.

Wesleyan had one more chance but a contested lay up missed and the putback was ruled after the buzzer and Dordt had the GPAC road win over the no. 17 team in the country.


Dordt was 33-76 from the field and 10-27 from the three-point line.  Dordt chased in on 11-12 free throws.

Dakota Wesleyan was 30-70 from the field and 11-32 from the arc while converting just 14-20 free throws.

Dordt had a 49-31 rebounding advantage but committed 15 turnovers to six for the hosts. Dordt had five turnovers in the second half.

Jansma scored 20 points off the bench and converted 5-7 three-point shots with eight rebounds.

Franken had 17 points and 14 rebounds with three assists.

Gesink converted 15 points and had two assists.

Van Lingen had 11 points and eight rebounds. Chad Barkema had eight points and six rebounds.

Dordt is 5-2 overall and 2-1 in the GPAC.


Ty Hoglund had 21 points to lead all scorers and Nick Harden had 16.

Collin Kramer led Wesleyan with eight rebounds and Aaron Ahmadu had four assists and 17 points.

Wesleyan is 5-1 overall and 2-1 in the league.


"We just hung around. I thought Dakota Wesleyan did a great job defensively in the game and took away a lot of our drive and kicks. Eventually we got ourselves to the point where we made a few shots and they made a few mistakes, the missed some free throws--those are the things that need to happen to win a game like this."


Dordt is off until Tuesday, November 21 when it travels to Dakota State to play the Trojans in a non-conference game at Madison, South Dakota.