Dordt def. Eastern Oregon 3-1 (25-19, 25-21, 19-25, 25-23)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dordt College bounced back from a disappointing loss in its first match of the day to turn away Eastern Oregon 3-1 on Friday afternoon at Costa Mesa, California.
Dordt bounced back after falling behind 6-1 in set one. Dordt tied it at 7-7 on an Ema Altena kill and the Defenders continued the momentum to lead 15-9 and Eastern Oregon got no closer than five before falling 25-14.
Set two featured seven ties, the last at 19-19 with Haley Delperdang breaking the tie with a kill for the Defenders. A setting error pushed Dordt up by two and the Defenders got two kills from Julia Lindbergh along with a Leah Kamp kill and Robyn Underwood ace for a 25-21 win.
Eastern Oregon controlled set three from start to finish and won 25-19 pushing the match to a fourth set.
Four early ties in set four gave way to a 20-15 Eastern Oregon lead. Eastern Oregon was able to fend off several Dordt advances and led 23-21 after a service error by the Defenders. An Eastern Oregon attack error gave Dordt service and two more attack errors followed by Eastern Oregon, one of them on a block by Kamp and Jamie Gesink. At set point the Defenders got a set to Kamp who put it away for a 25-23 win.
COACH HANSON SAID
“The match went really well. We had some strong moments of play that brought us closer together as a team. This tournament has provided all the right aspects of high level competition and team bonding moments of play to begin our season. With our work accomplished we will enjoy the next couple days of fun and fellowship before we get back home.”
- Both teams had 40 kills and Dordt had a narrow 12-10 block point advantage and Eastern Oregon had a 7-6 ace serve edge.
- Eastern Oregon was charged with 36 attack errors but Dordt had eight service errors.
- Ema Altena led the Dordt attack with 12 kills and she had 13 digs.
- Leah Kamp had nine kills and was in on two solo blocks and five block assists.
- Julia Lindbergh, Jamie Gesink and Ally Krommendyk all had six kills.
- Summer Jansen had 17 digs and two ace serves and Jamie Gesink had 27 assists.
- Dordt is now 2-2 while Eastern Oregon slips to 2-3.
Dordt will host Corban on Thursday night, August 24 at 7:00 pm.