Hope International Classic
Westmont def. Dordt 3-1 (15-25, 19-25, 25-15, 24-26)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Dordt College Defender volleyball team dropped a 3-1 match to no. 7 ranked Westmont (California) in a match played at Hope International on Thursday night, August 17. Dordt entered play at the classic ranked no. 2 in the NAIA preseason poll.
Westmont dispatched Dordt in the first two sets 25-15 and 25-19 with the Defenders struggling to string points together.
Dordt bounced back to take set three 25-15 by using an offensive attack that boasted a .364 kill efficiency and a kill advantage of 15-12.
Set four saw the Warriors pull away from an 11-9 advantage to build a 15-9 edge but Dordt rallied to tie the score at 19-19. The Defenders appeared to have a 23-21 advantage but a touch call on a Westmont attack reversed the point, tying the score and Dordt lost the set 26-24.
COACH HANSON SAID
“A strong match finished shorter than we hiped in our comeback attempt. Our team showed great composure through tense moments and discovered a new level of playing intensity. This match was a tough one to lose but we also recognize our opponent gave us great effort and performed well at the right times. We will learn from this and move forward to prepare for our next match at Vanguard on Friday morning.”
- Jamie Gesink put up 35 assists, six kills, nine digs and was in on six blocks.
- Ema Altena had 16 kills and nine digs.
- Leah Kamp put down 13 kills.
- Julia Lindbergh had ten kills.
- Summer Jansen recorded a match high 20 digs and Sarah Connelly had 10.
- Robyn Underwood, Gesink and Connelly each had two ace serves.
- Westmont had a .269 kill efficiency while Dordt’s kill efficiency was .177.
- Dordt scored nine points on blocks and Westmont scored five on defense at the net.
Dordt will face Vanguard (California) and Eastern Oregon at Vanguard at 12:00 pm and 3:30 pm.