Graceland defeats Dordt 3-2 (25-20, 25-23, 23-25, 23-25, 15-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dordt bounced back from a 2-0 deficit to force a decisive set five but came up short to the Graceland Yellow Jackets on Saturday afternoon, March 18 in Sioux Center.
Set one saw the visitors get out to a 12-7 lead before Dordt cut the lead to 19-17 with a three-point run as Tyler Postma and Alex Durbin were in on a block to get the Defenders to within two points. Dordt got no closer than two the rest of the set and fell 25-20.
Dordt rallied from an 8-4 deficit to get within 17-16 on a Graceland service error. The Defenders eventually tied the set 22-22 on an attack error and Caleb Brandsma a kill down to tie it again at 23-23. The visitors banged out back to back points for a 25-23 win and a 2-0 decision.
Dordt seized the lead in set three and still led 21-20 before back to back points by Graceland put them on the brink of a 3-0 win. Dordt tied the set with a Davis Konynenbelt kill and a service error by the Yellow Jackets tied it again 23-23. Back to back attack errors by Graceland gave Dordt the win 25-23.
Dordt rode the momentum to take a 21-14 lead before Graceland got within 23-21 but a Brandsma kill made it 24-21 and Ben Tiemersma finished it with a kill for the 25-23 win.
Set five was a reversal of fortune for the Defenders as the Defenders surrendered a six point run to trail 9-4 and lost 15-6.
- Dordt had a .285 kill efficiency and Graceland hit .353.
- Graceland had an 8-4 ace serve advantage and had 78 kills to 44 for the Defenders.
- Dordt accumulated 11 points on blocks.
- Tiemersma had a team high 13 kills.
- Tyler Postma had 35 assists.
- Marcus DeWeerd had two ace serves and eight digs and Mark Schussler had a tean high 11 digs.
- Danny Ly had a match high 30 kills for Graceland.
- Dordt is 1-16 and will travel to face Briar Cliff on Monday. Graceland is 7-14.