Dordt defeats Northwestern 4-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
Two homeruns by Colton Van Otterloo proved to be the difference as Dordt defeated Northwestern in game two of their doubleheader on Tuesday night in Orange City. The win gave Dordt a split of the doubleheader.
Van Otterloo’s first homerun came in the third inning with Dordt down 1-0. Cam Gingerich was hit by a pitch with two outs and Jake Thayer was walked and Van Otterloo clubbed a homerun for a 3-1 lead.
Northwestern chipped away at the lead with a run in the fourth and then scored a run in the bottom of the seventh to force extra innings.
Van Otterloo then unlocked the tie with a solo homerun with one out in the eighth and Trent Roose came on in relief and recorded the save. Northwestern got the tying run to second base with one out and the winning run at first but the final two outs were recorded on a fly out and a strikeout.
- Dordt was outhit 8-4.
- Both teams committed an error.
- Van Otterloo was 2-4 at the plate with four runs batted in on two homeruns. He has five homeruns this season and is batting .375.
- Trent Roose and Cam Gingerich each had singles.
- Northwestern stranded nine runners and Dordt five.
- Zach Zylstra started the game and went seven innings with three runs allowed, five strikeouts and three walks issued. Zylstra got the win.
- Trent Roose worked the eighth inning and allowed a hit and a walk and struck out two.
- Dordt is 2-2 in the GPAC and 9-12 overall. Northwestern is 4-2 and 13-12. Dordt will host Briar Cliff on Thursday in its next outing.