Dordt defeats Central Christian 5-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dordt College held on to win 5-3 in McPherson, Kansas over Central Christian on Friday, March 17 in non-conference baseball.
Dordt missed an early opportunity when it left the bases loaded after jamming them full with one out as Chris Schrieber earned a walk. A strikeout and a fly out squelched the threat and the score remained tied until the seventh when the Defenders finally broke through.
Schrieber singled with one out and an error put runners at second and third. A passed ball scored the first run of the game and a strikeout was recorded for a second out. Taylor Neuroth singled in another run and Cam Gingerich and Trent Roose also recorded run scoring singles before the inning ended.
After a scoreless bottom of the seventh and top of the eighth the hosts broke through with three runs on a hit batsman, two walks and a wild pitch before Dordt was able to get out of the inning.
Colton Van Otterloo knocked in the final run of the game with a single in the ninth and Trent Roose finished the game by recording the final four outs and got the save.
- Connor Hopkins went the first seven innings and allowed no runs on three hits with two walks and 12 strikeouts.
- Cam Gingerich becomes the new career leader in hits at Dordt while going 2-5 with a run batted in.
- Colton Van Otterloo and Trent Roose both had three hits with Roose knocking in two runs with three singles.
- Dordt had an 11-4 hits advantage.
- Roose got the save with one hit allowed while recording the final four outs and struck out two.
- Dordt is now 7-8 and the two teams will play again tomorrow at 12:00 in doubleheader consisting of two seven inning games.