Briar Cliff defeats Dordt 96-74
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dordt never led in its GPAC game with Briar Cliff in Sioux City on Wednesday, February 1 and fell 96-74.
The Chargers scored the first eight points of the game and used a 16-0 run to go from up 19-16 to up 35-16. Dordt did cut the lead to 50-40 on an Alex Terpstra three-point basket late in the first half but the Chargers got the last basket of the first half and led 52-40 at the intermission.
Briar Cliff started the second half with a 8-2 run and Dordt as never lcloser than 17 in the second half.
- Alex Terpstra scored a career high 22 points on seven three-point shots and one free throw. Terpstra also had six rebounds and four assists.
- Alec Henrickson tossed in 13 points and had five assists.
- Andrew O’Donnell scored ten points with seven rebounds and Zach Bussard came off the bench to score eight points with five rebounds.
- Dordt was 27-67 from the field and 10-29 from the three-point line. Briar Cliff countered with 31-58 shooting and 15-28 from the three-point arc.
- Both teams had 38 rebounds. Dordt committed 13 turnovers and Briar Cliff had 11.
- Dordt is 4-11 and 13-14 while Briar Cliff is 10-4 and 19-6.
COACH DOUMA SAID
“This was a difficult match up for us in that we were facing a veteran team in Briar Cliff who is playing very well right now and is rolling. We have a team that wants to play up tempo but we are not quite at the point where we can keep up with the group defensively and that showed itself very early in the first seven or eight minutes. I thought we had a good six or seven minutes to close the half and put ourselves in position down 10-12 points and there were some good things there. The second half they just forced their will on us. Alex (Terpstra) has learned how to make himself a better basketball player and he did that with the absence of a junior year due to knee injury. He’s put together a really good post-Christmas season for himself.”
- Briar Cliff defeats Dordt 96-74
- Hastings defeats Midland 88-72
- Morningside defeats Northwestern 82-59
- Dakota Wesleyan defeats Mount Marty 78-54