NEWS & EVENTS
Dordt College News
Dordt College celebrates nursing student accomplishments
December 18, 2013
Two Dordt College nursing students completed their bachelor of science in nursing (B.S.N.) degree this semester. Sarah Byron of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Candice Bui of Sioux Center, Iowa, participated in the end-of-semester pinning ceremony at the college on Tuesday, December 17. Both students had previously earned their associate of science in nursing (A.S.N) degrees through a consortium agreement with St. Luke’s College in Sioux City, Iowa.
“In addition to an associate degree in nursing, these B.S.N. graduates have completed an additional 24 credit hours of upper division nursing courses along with 135 community clinical hours. They are well prepared to enter the nursing workforce in community, hospital, or clinic settings,” said Pam Hulstein, Ph.D., C.N.M., Dordt College professor of nursing.
Ten Dordt College nursing students recently completed their consortium semesters with St. Luke’s. These students were awarded their A.S.N. degrees at St. Luke’s winter commencement ceremony on December 13.
Dordt College/St. Luke’s A.S.N. graduates include:
- Alexa Rae Altena of Sioux Center, Iowa
- Kari Ann Groeneweg (Magna Cum Laude) of Sioux Center, Iowa
- Katelyn Ann Lieuwen of Platte, South Dakota
- Rachelle Marie Marcus of Renville, Minnesota
- Joshua Ryan Peterson of Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
- Kaylee Grace Schmeling of Milford, Iowa
- Ciarra Anne Schmitt of Parker, Colorado
- Sarah Beth Van Den Berg of Rock Valley, Iowa
- Rachel Mae VanKempen (Cum Laude) of Jenison, Michigan
- Kevin Nicolas Vermeer of Lansing, Illinois
The consortium agreement allows students to be simultaneously enrolled at both St. Luke’s and Dordt College. Dordt’s unique nursing program is designed so that students typically become registered nurses in their third year, after completing more than 800 hours of clinical work. Students can complete a fourth year at Dordt to earn their B.S.N. Nursing is one of the five largest majors at Dordt College. To learn more, visit www.dordt.edu/academics/programs/nursing.