Financial Questions

Q. How much does it cost to attend Dordt University?

A. The cost for tuition at Dordt University during the 2016-17 academic year is $28,630 and the comprehensive cost (including room and board, insurance and books) for one year is about $38,000 USD. 

Q. How much financial aid can I receive?

A. Dordt University does offer financial aid for students, both academic scholarships and need-based grants. In addition, students who are gifted in academics or music or athletics may be able to earn additional awards. Aid seldom covers more than 50% the cost of tuition.

Q. Can I apply for a US loan?

A. International students are not eligible for Federal Student Loans, but may be eligible for a private school loan from a US financial institution if a family member is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.

Q. Can I work?

A. Off-Campus employment is prohibited without prior approval and federal work authorization. On-campus employment is allowed.


Application Questions

Q. What is the deadline for applying?

A. There is no application deadline.

Q. How can I apply?

A. Apply for free online.

Q. What must I submit with my application form?

A. An application can be completed over a period of time. It is not necessary to submit all of the following documents with your initial application form, but it is necessary to submit the following documents for full admission to Dordt University:

  • ACT or SAT exam score
  • TOEFL or IELTS exam score
  • Original transcripts from secondary school or university, with translations, if necessary.
  • Faith Essay

Visa Questions

Q. When and how do I apply for a student visa?

A. You may apply for a student visa after you have been fully admitted to Dordt University. Dordt will issue you a document called Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. This document must be presented at a US embassy or consulate during the student visa interview for consideration of a student visa.

Q. What is an I-20?

A. An I-20 is a US government document. It is issued, with permission, by US educational institutions. It verifies to US officials that a student has met all admissions requirements to attend an educational institution in the United States. The I-20 verifies supplemental information necessary to receive a student visa.


Room and Board Questions

Q. Can I live off campus?

A. Yes, if specific criteria are met. Please contact residence life for more information.

Q. Are meal plan options are available?

A. You can choose from a variety of meal plan options.



Q. What are the immunization requirements?

A. The immunization requirements for international students can be found here.

Health Insurance

Q. Why do I have to have Dordt’s health insurance? What if my own is better?

A. Dordt University assists students in finding an affordable basic healthcare plan that meets federal requirements, and is accepted by local healthcare providers. All international students are required to purchase healthcare from Dordt’s health insurance options.


Tuition and Other Charges

Q. When will I get my bill?

A. Bills for incoming students are issued mid-July.

Q. When must I pay my bill?

A. Payment is due in full prior to the beginning of each semester. A monthly payment plan is available.

Q. How can I or my parents pay my bill?

A. The Dordt University Business Office provides a detailed summary of the payment options available. 



Q. What mobile phone service should I use?

A. There are many different mobile phone providers in the United States. Mobile Phone plans in the United States are much more expensive than other parts of the world, and frequently require 2-year contracts. No contract options are available, but generally require the individual to bring their own phone to use with the plan.