The Chamber Orchestra is a select group of 20 to 30 string players who perform works for string orchestra and are regularly joined by some of Dordt's finest student and faculty wind players for performances of chamber orchestra music. String players at Dordt divide their rehearsal time between the Chamber Orchestra and the Northwest Iowa Symphony Orchestra (NISO).
Recent Chamber Orchestra repertoire includes:
- Rounds for String Orchestra, David Diamond
- Serenade for Strings, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Carmen Suite No. 1, Georges Bizet
- Little Suite for Strings, Carl Nielsen
- Suite for Strings, John Rutter
- Serenade for String Orchestra, Dag Wiren
- Praeludium, Armas Järnefelt
- Overture in D Major, Op. 43, Luigi Boccherini
- Suite for Organ and Strings in G Major, Ottorino Respighi
- Folk Tune Air and Fiddler’s Fury, Alexander Safford
- Sinfonietta for String Orchestra, Harald Genzmer
- Rest, Frank Ticheli
The Chamber Orchestra is also involved in a variety of tours throughout North America, and in May of 2012, the group performed in Germany, France, and the Netherlands.
Anyone interested in visiting a rehearsal of the Dordt Chamber Orchestra may come to the Instrumental Music Room (M108) Monday nights from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. (alternating between Chamber Orchestra and NISO) and Wednesdays from 5 to 6:05 p.m. Prospective students are encouraged to apply for scholarships.To receive more information, please fill out this form.
More information can also be found in Dordt's catalog.