The mission of Dordt's mathematics program is to help students investigate, understand, contextualize, appreciate, and apply mathematical ideas for a life of Christian service.
- Effective, quality instruction for conceptual understanding and several forms of assistance to help students advance in their learning
- Personal attention to student learning by professors
- Early teaching experience in supervised settings for math education students
- Broad context given to mathematics (history, philosophy, applications)
- Opportunities for mathematically-focused teaching assistant positions
- Opportunities for individualized study and research
On completion of a mathematics major, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in fields of contemporary mathematics (modern algebra, number theory, analysis, modeling, etc.).
- Exhibit familiarity with the conceptual structure and methodologies of mathematical knowledge.
- Use appropriate technology to do mathematical tasks.
- Appreciate the relevance of mathematics for other disciplines and daily life.
- Recognize that mathematics is not static but a growing body of knowledge driven by cultural influences and worldviews.
- Articulate a Christian philosophical perspective of mathematics.
Dordt's mathematics department seeks to promote mathematics and its connections to other disciplines by maintaining high quality instruction with personalized attention to students, teaching mathematics from a Christian perspective in the context of educating the whole person.
To this end, we aim to:
- Help students grow in their articulation of a Christian perspective on mathematics.
- Create an environment where professors and students can interact in ways that promote high quality learning and community.
- Expand, both on and off campus, others' views of what mathematics is, how it relates to other fields, and how it should be used.
- Increase the number of Dordt students taking mathematics courses and using mathematics in their discipline.
- Include students in faculty scholarship.