The purpose of the Dordt College mathematics program is to promote human flourishing through the study of mathematics, cultivating student learning through active engagement, creative problem solving, and meaningful application.
- We cultivate a friendly, welcoming community of students and faculty.
- We invite students to pursue with us a deep understanding of mathematics as a part of God’s creation.
- We foster engaging classroom environments where students actively learn.
- We provide hands-on experiences where students partner with faculty in research and teaching equipping them for life after college.
A graduate of the Dordt College mathematics program is:
- A communicator: Can clearly communicate mathematical ideas to a variety of audiences.
- An explorer: Has developed a curiosity to ask questions and the skills to investigate them.
- A connector: Can translate real-world questions into mathematical models and solve them.
- A learner: Has a knowledge of foundational mathematics and leverages it to inquire about new fields.
- An ambassador: Can share the joy of mathematics to promote a Biblical perspective about its place in God’s creation.
The Dordt College Mathematics Program will be known for excellence and innovation in teaching, preparing students who are rooted in faith and who can flexibly meet the challenges of a changing world. Our students will be sought after by reputable graduate programs, will be known as leaders in their vocations, and will be in demand as teacher-leaders in K-12 schools.
Our faculty are men and women of faith, recognized as regional, national, and international leaders in their fields. Their scholarship is highly valued and they are well-known for their excellent and innovative teaching. Through their service they will permeate the joy of mathematics to their areas of influence, and will meaningfully support and contribute to the broader mathematical community.