The 2-year paraeducator program is a blend of theory and practice, and you'll have many opportunities to develop your skills in P-12 classrooms while gaining the knowledge needed under the guidance of outstanding professors who have the experience and desire to see you become an outstanding educator.
Dordt is the only accredited four-year college in Iowa that offers an Associate of Arts degree in paraeducator education. Our program leads to the paraeducator certification from the State of Iowa and will equip you to be an invaluable asset to any P-12 school system.
These are the general and specialist paraeducator certifications available:
- Generalist: This degree provides you the certification needed to work as a paraeducator in P-12 classrooms.
- Early Childhood: This degree provides you the certification needed to work as an early childhood specialist in prekindergarten through third grade classrooms.
- Special Needs: This degree provides you with the certification to work as a special needs specialist in P-12 classrooms.
- English as a Second Language: This degree provides you with the certification to work as a ESL specialist in P-12 classrooms.
- Career and Transitional Programs: This degree provides you with the certification to work as a career and transitional specialist in grades 5-12.
Education facilities in the Ribbens Academic Complex include:
- Three model classrooms for language arts, math, and social studies.
- Model science and computer labs.
- Classrooms with moveable furniture, allowing for multiple configurations for teaching and learning.
- State-of-the-art technology, including interactive Smart Boards, document cameras, advanced lighting options, and presentation equipment as well as other equipment used in today's classrooms.
- A lounge area for informal learning.
- A teacher workroom furnished with state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and supplies needed for pre-service teachers and professors.
Check out our facilities.