The Dordt College master of education degree program offers several options. The Teacher Leadership track consists of a 30-credit concentration. The School Leadership track consists of either a 36-credit concentration leading to an administrative license or a 33-credit Sport Leadership concentration for coaches, athletic directors, and other sport leadership positions.
The M.Ed. program offers high quality academic experiences in a convenient, collaborative online format. It provides practical, hands-on learning for educators who want to learn more about what it means to teach and lead in a distinctively Christian manner. Graduates of the Dordt M.Ed. program will be better able to articulate and translate their perspective into practice within their classrooms, schools, and communities.
Our program is designed to fit into the life of the in-service educator—even those who live far from campus—while providing a high-quality program that will genuinely contribute to your professional growth.
Our innovative summer program allows you to earn your degree in as little as two to three years, while spending minimal time away from home. EDUC 501 requires only one week on campus during the month of July. Before coming to campus you'll prepare for that class by completing readings or other assignments.
- Tuition is $300/credit with a $20/course registration fee.
- The Teacher Leadership program is 30 credits, the School Leadership program is 36 credits, and the Sport Leadership program is 33 credits.
- A typical plan of study includes one course every fall and spring and three every summer for two full years. A slower pace can reduce summer work for two courses each of the three summers.
- The School Leadership program includes 400 hours of State of Iowa required contact/mentoring hours as part of the administrative license. These field hours can be done in the school or district in which one is currently teaching and do not require absence from current teaching assignments.
- All of our courses are online. One foundation course does require one week on campus in July.
"Dordt was a great institution to receive my Master's degree from. The course work along with the online format was one of the main reasons I chose to go through Dordt. Because I teach at a public school I felt the course content and Christian perspective challenged me in all aspects to develop all facets of my teaching. Connecting with so many different teachers from across North America allowed us to share our struggles and successes and learn from others about what is effective in their schools. I'd highly recommend this program for someone who wants to be challenged as an educator and to be a part of a progressive learning community."
"Thank you for everything you did for me the past few years. I am so thankful for Dordt’s Educational Leadership Program. You are outstanding leaders and it was so great to learn from you as well as my fellow colleagues. The training and education you provided me allowed me to apply for and be chosen for an instructional coach position at our school. Without a doubt, I feel comfortable and excited about this new position because of what Dordt has done for me."
"Thanks for letting me know I am 'official.' What a great feeling that is! Praise God, and I want you to know that Dordt has been the best education I have ever received. I loved the challenge, growth and the Christian philosophy that fed my heart, mind and soul."