This specialization consists of 12 courses in a 30 credit hour program and prepares the teacher or administrator to be a competent leader in special education roles. The program provides practical, hands-on learning experiences in teaching and leading in a distinctively Christian manner. Coursework focuses on specific strategies for assessing and addressing learning difficulties of various types. Courses and field hours provide experience in developing instructional strategies, behavior interventions, and inclusion opportunities for special needs learners. Additional focus is on working with professionals and parents to maximize learning opportunities for children.
COURSES OFFERED IN 15-WEEK SEMESTERS AND 8-WEEK SUMMER TERMS.
Students may start the program during any term. Most M.Ed. students choose a two or three year plan of study during which they continue to work as a full-time educator. Contact us for a plan that fits your pace and starting point!
M.ED. COURSES IN Special Education (30 CREDITS)
- EDUC 501 - Issues in Education (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 502 - Learner Development and Principles of Learning (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 503a - Interpreting and Applying Educational Research (1.5 credits, fall)
- EDUC 505 - Foundations of Special Education (3 credits, summer)
- EDUC 508 - Teaching and Learning with Technology (3 credits, spring)
- EDUC 511 - Assessment of Learning Difficulties (3 credits, fall even)
- EDUC 512 - Advanced Behavioral and Social Interventions for Exceptional Children (3 credits, summer odd)
- EDUC 513 - Instructional Decisions (3 credits, spring even)
- EDUC 514 - Transition Support and Collaborative Partnerships (3 credits, fall odd)
- EDUC 519 - Teaching Students wtih Complex Communication and Behavior Needs (1.5 credits, spring odd)
- EDUC 522 - Advanced Pedagogies for Teaching Literacy (1.5 credits, summer odd)
- EDUC 523 - Advanced Pedagogies for Teaching Math (1.5 credits, summer odd)
Students who are interested in adding a special education teaching endorsement to their Iowa teaching license may contact email@example.com for more information. Additional student teaching hours will be required. Endorsement options include:
K-8 Instructional Strategist I: Mild/Moderate (260)
5-12 Instructional Strategist I: Mild/Moderate (261)
K-12 Instructional Strategist II: Behavior Disorders/Learning Disabilities (263)