You'll have a better experience on this website using a secure, up-to-date browser. Click here for information and instructions about updating.
Dr. Steve Holtrop
Professor of Education
Phone: (712) 722-6214
A Christian worldview helps equip people to follow their callings to enjoy God and his creation, to learn and grow in wisdom and maturity, and to contribute to building God's kingdom in their own unique ways. My passion is helping to bring a biblical perspective to all ages of students, including young adults and older adults. I've enjoyed teaching writing, journalism, and critical thinking as a high school teacher in Florida and Iowa. At the university level, I love teaching future teachers and emerging educational leaders, both at the undergraduate and graduate level.
What I do at Dordt University
At Dordt I have taught the undergraduate philosophy of education course for a number of years and the graduate curriculum development course, and I direct the Master of Education (M.Ed.) graduate program for teachers and administrators. Recently, the M.Ed. has launched new graduate specializations in special education, early childhood education, developmental reading, educational technology, sport leadership, and instructional coaching.
I also serve as Director of Graduate Studies as Dordt explores and launches additional graduate programs besides those in teacher education. Check out our new Master of Social Work (MSW) and Master of Public Administration (MPA) graduate programs!
- Graduate & adult programs: curriculum, technology, research, writing
- Undergraduate programs: foundations of education, secondary methods, literacy, educational technology, educational psychology, diversity, supervision of student teachers
- High school teaching: English, A.P. English, journalism
- Institutions served: Unity Christian High School (Hudsonville, MI), Westminster Christian High School (Miami, FL), Unity Christian High School (Orange City, IA), University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA), Huntington University (Huntington, IN), Dordt University (Sioux Center, IA)
Publication and conference presentation topics
- Teaching Christianly
- Transformational Christian graduate programs
- Spiritual formation & faith integration
- Different Christian perspectives on philosophy of education
- Adult & graduate program development
- Teaching adult students
- Teaching thinking & writing
- Teaching & learning in online programs
- Assessment & accreditation
- Multicultural education
- Ph.D. University of Iowa - English education, social foundations of education
Dissertation: Instructional Scaffolding in Context: Three Case Studies of Writing Instruction
- M.A. University of Iowa - English education, journalism education
- B.A. Calvin University - English, religion, secondary education
- Serve on the board of Christian Schools International
- Served as President of Council at Covenant Christian Reformed Church
- Birthplace: Amsterdam
- First wanted to be a teacher: teaching sailing merit badge at Boy Scout camp, age 16
- Lived in 7 states: Iowa, Indiana, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, Massachussets, Illinois