You are here
Dr. Steve Holtrop
Professor of Education
Phone: (712) 722-6214
A Christian worldview helps equip God's people to follow their callings to enjoy God and his creation, to learn and grow in wisdom and maturity, and to contribute to building God's kingdom in their own unique ways. My passion is helping to bring a biblical perspective to all ages of students, including young adults and older adults. I've enjoyed teaching writing and critical thinking as a high school teacher in Florida and Iowa. I love teaching future teachers and emerging educational leaders, both at the undergraduate and graduate level.
Hats I wear at Dordt College
At Dordt I teach the undergraduate philosophy of education course and the graduate curriculum development course, and I direct the Master of Education (M.Ed.) graduate program for teachers and administrators. Recently, the M.Ed. has launched new graduate specializations in special education, early childhood education, developmental reading, educational technology, sport leadership, and instructional coaching.
I also serve as Director of Graduate Studies as Dordt explores and launches additional graduate programs besides those in teacher education. Directing the dual credit program (Dordt course credits offered through selected high schools) is another hat I wear at Dordt.
- Graduate and adult programs: curriculum, technology, research, writing
- Undergraduate programs: foundations of education, secondary methods, literacy, technology, educational psychology, diversity, supervision of student teachers
- High school teaching: English, journalism
- Institutions served: Unity Christian High School (Hudsonville, MI), Westminster Christian High School (Miami, FL), Unity Christian High School (Orange City, IA), University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA), Huntington University (Huntington, IN), Dordt College (Sioux Center, IA)
Publication and conference presentation topics
- Teaching Christianly
- Different Christian perspectives on philosophy of education
- Teaching thinking and writing
- Teaching and learning in online programs
- Adult and graduate program development
- Assessment and accreditation issues
- Multicultural education
- Ph.D. University of Iowa - English education, social foundations of education
Dissertation: Instructional Scaffolding in Context: Three Case Studies of Writing Instruction
- M.A. University of Iowa - English education, journalism education
- B.A. Calvin College - English, religion, secondary education