You'll have a better experience on this website using a secure, up-to-date browser. Click here for information and instructions about updating.
Dr. Justin Bailey
Assistant Professor of Theology
Phone: (712) 722-6058
I work at the intersection of Christian theology, culture, and ministry. My work as a professor explores the ways that culture shapes the practice of Christian faith, as well as the ways that the Christian faith enables culture care. My research seeks to bridge gaps between church and academy, exploring the formational spaces where they overlap. As a theology professor at Dordt, I resonate deeply with Dordt’s task and calling to provide an academically rigorous and culturally engaged education, shaped deeply by the Reformed theological vision. I am an ordained minister in the Christian Reformed Church, and have served as a pastor in Filipino-American, Korean-American, and Caucasian-American settings.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Cultural hermeneutics, Imaginative apologetics, Protestant aesthetics, Spiritual Formation, Technology and Media, Faith and Doubt
- Reimagining Apologetics: The Beauty of Faith in a Secular Age. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2020.
- “The Impact of Social Media” in Hak Joon Lee and Timothy A. Dearborn, eds. Doing Justice: Diverse Responses to Divisive Issues. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2020.
- “The Theodramatic Imagination.” International Journal of Public Theology: 12 (2018), 455–470
- “The Body in Cyberspace: Lanier, Merleau-Ponty, and the Norms of Embodiment.” Christian Scholars Review 45, no. 3 (2016): 211-228. ***Awarded the Charles J. Miller award for most outstanding article in volume 45***
- “In Search of Stronger Spells.” Inheritance Magazine, Volume 53. Los Angeles, CA, 2017.
- “Welcome to the Blogosphere,” in Everyday Theology. Eds. Kevin J. Vanhoozer, Charles Anderson and Michael Sleasman. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007.
- Kingdom, Identity, and Calling
- Biblical Foundations
- Biblical Study Methods
- New Testament Letters
- Teaching the Bible
- Spiritual Formation
- Gospel, Church, and Culture
- Theology and Popular Culture
- Christian Ethics
- Leadership for Discipleship and Formation
- Aesthetics: Beauty, Desire, and Imagination
- Ph.D. Fuller Seminary
- Th.M. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- M.Div. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- B.A. Moody Bible Institute