You are here
Dr. Carl Fictorie
Professor of Chemistry
Phone: (712) 722-6283
May God grant the Christian scholar in a still higher degree the courage, perseverance, and energy "to go back to his own principles in his thinking, to renew all scientific investigation on the lines of these principles, and to glut the press with the burden of his cogent studies." Abraham Kuyper, Lectures on Calvinism, 1898.
Education and Experience
- Professor of Chemistry, Dordt College, 1995-present
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, Materials Chemistry, 1997; J. F. Evans, Advisor
- B.A., Dordt College, Chemistry and Physics, 1990
- Honors Co-Director: Kuyper Scholars Program
The Kuyper Scholars Program provides curious and self-motivated students opportunities to study beyond the regular curriculum. Through contracts, projects, and seminars, Kuyper Scholars explore aspects of the world that interest them while developing their own voice in God's Kingdom and world culture.
- Premed Advising
Pursuing a medical profession requires purpose, preparation, and perseverance. You have to be called into medicine, prepare thoroughly through courses and experiences, and persevere when the going gets tough.
- Chem 101: General Chemistry
The first course in chemistry for science students with a minimal background in chemistry.
- Chem 109: Chemistry for Engineers
A one-semester general chemistry course for students in engineering.
- Chem 212: Chemical Analysis
A foundational course addressing the questions "What is it?" and "How much is there?"
- Chem/Envr 251: Environmental Chemistry
How we use basic chemical principles to understand ecosystems and pollution.
- Chem 271: Inorganic Chemistry
Learning how the periodic table organizes chemical knowledge.
- Chem 231: Foundations of Physical Chemistry
A first look at energy in chemistry, quantum chemistry, and chemical kinetics.
- Chem 333: Quantum Chemistry
Using quantum mechanics to understand atoms and molecules.
- Chem/Phys 305: Perspectives in Physical Science
How do we know what we know, scientifically?
- Preparation and analysis of biomass-based catalysts for the synthesis of biodiesel.
- Chemical Education
- Philosophy of Chemistry
- "What is Chemistry and Why Study It?" an essay used in Principles of Chemistry.
- Review of Hyle: International Journal for Philosophy of Chemistry, Volume 9, 2003. "Special Issue on Aesthetics and Visualization in Chemistry & Chemistry in Art"
- "A Simple Choice: A Review Essay" Pro Rege, June 2010.
- "A Little Book for New Scientists: Book Review" Pro Rege, March 2017.
- Occasional posts at in All things.