You are here
Dr. David Mulder
Associate Professor of Education
Phone: (712) 722-6039
I love to teach! Before joining the Education department at Dordt in 2012, I taught in Christian schools in California and Iowa for 14 years. While I thoroughly enjoyed teaching in K-12 schools, I have found that I also love teaching future teachers. I view this calling as a tremendous blessing, and I do not take it lightly.
My interest areas in education are varied, but include educational technology, online learning, teaching young adolescents, science education, social networks for professional learning, and teaching Christianly. I blog my reflections on these topics (and more!) and you are welcome to read along at http://iteach-and-ilearn.blogspot.com.
Education and Experience:
- Ed.D. in Educational Technology, Boise State University, 2017
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction, Dordt University (formerly Dordt College), 2008
- BA in Elementary Education, Dordt University (formerly Dordt College), 1998
- 14 years teaching experience in PreK-12, primarily in middle school settings
Courses I Teach Include:
- Introduction to Education
- Planning, Instruction, and Assessment in the Middle School
- Teaching Science in PreK through Middle School
- Teaching STEM in K-12 Schools
- World Regional Geography (CORE Program)
- Teaching and Learning with Technology (and other EdTech courses in the M.Ed. program)
Recent Publications and Presentations:
Mulder, D. J. (2018, March). “Pre-service teachers as digital natives: The myths, the controversy, and how they describe themselves.” Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) Annual Conference. Washington, DC.
Lowenthal, P. R. & Mulder, D. J. (2017). Social presence and communication technologies: Tales of trial and error. In A. Whiteside, A. Garrett Dickers, and K. Swan (Eds.), Social Presence in Online Learning: Multiple Perspectives on Practice and Research.
Mulder, D. J. (2017). A review of Earth Science: God’s World, Our Home by Kevin Nelstead. Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, 69(2), 111-113.
Mulder, D., & Trespalacios, J. (2016, October). "Measuring technology skills and self-efficacy for technology integration in pre-service teachers." AECT International Convention. Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mulder, D. J. (2016, May). "Not Native: Preparing Millennials for Technology Integration." 12th Biennial Conference of the International Christian Community for Teacher Education, Trinity Christian College, Palos Heights, IL.
Mulder, D. J. (2016). Pre-service teachers and technology integration: International cases and generational attitudes toward technology in education. In S. Keengwe, J. G. Mbae, and G. Onchwari (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Global Issues in Next-Generation Teacher Education. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.