The goals of SPIN are to guide and assist students in developing:
- Awareness of and respect for the diversity of peoples and cultural traditions in Nicaragua and surrounding Central American communities.
- Understanding of the contemporary political, economic, ecclesiastical, and social structures of this region of the world.
- Knowledge of the historical interweaving of culture, politics, economics, and communities of faith in Nicaraguan society.
- Recognition of different cultural systems and beliefs, and a deeper understanding of their own North American culture and biblical worldview.
- Spanish language skills through formal instruction and informal conversations with host families and other Nicaraguans.
- Skill and sensitivity in cross-cultural communication.
- The desire and ability to think and live as Christians in cross-cultural settings.
- A heart for service through service-learning experiences.