Fall semester programs. Dates TBA.
- Minimum of sophomore status
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- In good standing academically and behaviorally
Application deadline: March 1
Acceptance notification: April 1
You must book and cover payment for your own airfare. After you are accepted, you will receive advice about required arrival flights and times at Managua's international airport. Kelsey Davies, the SPIN student life coordinator, will meet you at the airport and accompany you to the Nehemiah Center for orientation.
The cost of SPIN is subject to change based on the USD/Cordoba exchange rate. More information to come.
The program fee includes:
- Tuition and fees
- Room and board
- Program-related excursions
- Transportation from/to the Managua international airport to Leon
- Airfare to/from Managua, Nicaragua
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC)
- Books and supplies (approximately $150)
- Personal expenses
- Independent travel: the biggest factor in calculating additional expenses
You'll live in Nicaraguan homes throughout the program. The family provides most of your meals. If possible, we will send your host family's name and address/email in early August.
After acceptance, a $350 (US) non-refundable deposit secures your place in the program. This deposit will be credited toward the cost of the program.
If you are from a cooperating college, you pay the deposit directly to Dordt College and the balance due for the program through your home school.
Dordt students are eligible for additional cross-cultural program scholarships and should contact the Scholarship Office for details.
If you come from another institution, contact your financial aid officer for available funding.
- Course-related excursions (included in fees)
- Trips to Santa Maria and El Ojoche, Nicaragua, and to Costa Rica (included in fees)
- Other opportunities to travel at your own expense for one week during mid-semester break
After you are accepted, you will receive the SPIN Handbook, which includes travel tips, program policies, and a tentative semester schedule (with scheduled breaks).