2015 Program Dates: August 21 to December 11, 2015
- Minimum of sophomore status
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- In good standing academically and behaviorally
Application deadline: April 1, 2014
Acceptance notification: April 5, 2014
You must book and cover payment for your own airfare. After you are accepted, you will receive advice about required arrival flights and times at Managua's international airport on Friday, August 21, 2015. Kelsey Davies, the SPIN student life coordinator, will meet you at the airport and accompany you to the Nehemiah Center for orientation.
The tentative 2015 cost is $15,740 (U.S.). The cost of SPIN is subject to change based on the USD/Cordoba exchange rate.
The program fee includes:
- Tuition and fees
- Room and board
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC)
- Program-related excursions
- Transportation from/to the Managua international airport
- Airfare to/from Managua, Nicaragua
- Books and supplies (approximately $150)
- Personal expenses
- Independent travel: the biggest factor in calculating additional expenses
You'll live in Nicaraguan homes throughout the program. The family provides most of your meals. If possible, we will send your host family's name and address/email in early August.
Housing will not be available before Aug. 21, 2015, or after Dec. 11, 2015.
After acceptance, a $350 (US) non-refundable deposit received by May 1, 2015, secures your place in the program. This deposit will be credited toward the cost of the program.
If you are from a cooperating college, you pay the deposit directly to Dordt College and the balance due for the program through your home school.
Dordt students are eligible for additional cross-cultural program scholarships and should contact the Scholarship Office for details.
If you come from another institution, contact your financial aid officer for available funding.
- Course-related excursions (included in fees)
- Trips to Santa Maria and El Ojoche, Nicaragua, and to Costa Rica (included in fees)
- Other opportunities to travel at your own expense for one week during mid-semester break
After you are accepted, you will receive the SPIN Handbook, which includes travel tips, program policies, and a tentative semester schedule (with scheduled breaks).